Do You Have A GPS? (Repost For More Responses)

I want to get a GPS for my husband for Father's Day. We're about to make a move out of state, and between the drive to get there and just getting around in a new place this is the perfect thing for my directionally challenged husband. So, do you have a GPS? What make, and model? Likes/Dislikes about what you have? Favorite/Least Favorite Features? Just trying to get a basic idea of what to look at, thanks in advance!

dedicatedrider

Asked by dedicatedrider at 9:48 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Shopping

• I have one, its a Mageallen (sp?), but I don't know what model it is. I have nothing to compare it to, but for certain trips I LOVE it. Takes all anxiety about getting directions, printing them up, reading them while driving, away. FWIW, I bought this GPS for DH also, but it stays in my car now =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:51 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• We have had and still have several, one built in in our VW Touareg and a hand held (I believe it's a Garmin), we've had other Garmin's and just love them. We like having both in case we're in my vehicle or our F350 (camping) we can take the hand held Garmin and even take it on hikes with a "cookie trail". I would highly recommend a GPS if you are moving to somewhere you are not familiar with.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 9:55 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• We have a Garmin as well. Actually, we have two--one that talks and one that doesn't. Definitely go with the one that talks!
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 10:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I have a tomtom and I really like it. Don't know the model but I love the size of it and the one touch features. However, I find the talking to be annoying at times but love it in unfimiliar territory.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 2:25 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• You know a great place to go to ask this question? The National Geo caching websites. Have you heard of geo caching? My friend's family loves it as a family activity. You use your GPS to locate hidden treasures around your area, using your fitness abilities for hiking and brain skills to the test! I want a GPS for this very reason, but can't afford one yet ;).
    flyingdebbie

Answer by flyingdebbie at 12:13 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• We have the built in version in Hubby's car, love it, big screen and all, BUT you cannot input while the car is moving. For that reason I love the little Garmin 200 something I have. Small enough to fit in the console of my Jeep for safe keeping but big enough to see without straining while driving. And takes input while your moving. For Caching we have an old Magellan hand held and love that one too. Each one serves a different purpose but we have made sure each of us, including the kids, have one now.

BTW, we got our first GPS on ebay, really cheap, maybe even try Craigs list or Freecycle, people upgrade all the time.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 7:46 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I also have the one that is built into the vehicle, and we love it. You just can't input anything while you are driving but it's not hard to just pull over on the shoulder for a few seconds to input something. It's very accurate, and very easy to follow. I don't know who makes it though.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:14 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I had a Magellen and hated it. Got me lost everytime I used it and despite paying 80 after buying it to upgrade it still tried to take me over a bridge in Charleston that hasn't been here in 8 years. It broke oh darn and now I have a Garmin and love it.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• When we were going to our family reunion 2 yrs. ago the GPS took them to the wrong location. Im not sure what model but we had one in our vehicle and it took us where we needed to go. So I guess it depends on the model/make.... IDK~
    rosesrred1

Answer by rosesrred1 at 12:35 AM on Jan. 2, 2010