Do you think people on welfare should be treated as "lower" citizens?

Hate to admit it, but it happens more often that you think.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 9:48 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• They should have to prove that they are looking for work. When they don't do that then I do look at them at lower citizens.
    Anonymous

• No. It's not a crime to be poor, even if people want to act like it is.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• No cuz they are people just like the rest sometimes people just need help expecially in this economy, now the people that abuse the system thats a different story
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 9:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• For food stamps, at least in CA, you have to be looking for work. At least that's what the guy told me. I don't think they should be looked down on, but I also think it should be taken as very temporary assistant, as in not being on it for years. Because it's not teaching the person to fish so to say, it's giving him a fish, and probably not learning anything from the experience.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• *assistance
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:54 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• No I just think it should not be so appealing and easy to live off of for years and years.
    Anonymous

• It is appealing in a way. I went to a bbq where my buddy bought a crapload of food to share with all of us, it was nothing short of extravagant.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:57 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• No.
    prettylob1

Answer by prettylob1 at 9:57 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I think they should be encouraged and supported (in an encouraging way) lol and have some positive things instilled in them. I think that's what a lot of them need. Not all children were raised with that taught to them. Many of them had getting out of school and working, or having babies normalized for them, and being encouraged to do something with their lives would be something completely abnormal to hear, almost as if it wasn't an option (parents fault).

They shouldn't be treated bad because they're on welfare. They need to doscover their potential, and hearing it from people could really boost their confidence. Always being treated like dirt will only make them continue with a poor view, and no ambition.
    Cont.

Anonymous

• I believe it's true, more than anything, that who you are has a lot to do with how you're treated. I know this dealing with an abusive father. It's had many negative effects on who I am. Thank God my mom has instilled just the opposite in me, so I feel like I have another side to me that can be something in life.
    Anonymous