Have you or another woman you know lost custody of your kids after leaving the spouse?

I want to leave my husband but I am afraid to because I've been a SAHM up to this point and he makes a lot of money and has a large home. Me...I am a student working on my degree. Whatever job I get right now will not be able to afford as much material things for the kids as he can.

People keep telling me that women rarely lose custody. But I am wondering...what are the circumstances where this happens? I'm especially interested if it's happened to you personally...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• Never happened to me... When I got divorced, I had no job and I too was a SAHM...

I think you are worring too much...
    Judges do not take the childrens mothers away from them unless they are abusive, or they are a drug addict, alcholic...atleast where I come from..

Consult an attorney....the will reassure you..

Now your husband can go for sharred custody if he wants to...which means that the children are with you 50% of the time and 50% with him all of the time...

And yes he could go for sole custody, but if you are not abusive or an addict then I would not worry..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 10:14 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• you can only lose custody if you are an unfit mom (drugs/alcohol). you are a sahm--get alimony honey! i know a man whose ex got cs and alimony because she was going back to college and raise their child. her job did not pay much and he made 80000.00 per year. so if you are not unfit do not worry about it. how old are the kids because a friend of mines 14 yr old son got to choose who he lived with.
    gale12

Answer by gale12 at 10:18 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• My friend was told that kids were like possessions. If neither parent is unfit the parent the child is living with at the point of separation / divorce is 9 times out of 10 who gets the primary custody. So if you are leaving, don't leave without your kids. If you are the primary caregiver of the children right now, most likely you will get your kids even without having a job.
    Anonymous