Calling all doulas! Help!

I have my 1st client!! I'm super excited! I'm giving my 1st 2 clients freebies since they are the ones I need to complete my certification. =D Now here's the problem. She's only 15. How do I be there for her without being overbearing to her parents? I don't have all the details yet, but can you give me some tipps or advice? Thanks so much!!

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:11 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Money & Work

• You do have insurance, right?
    Anonymous

• Do I have insurance? For what? I'm just there as a support person...I'm not doing anything medical.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:17 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Then what are you scared of? The parents? If you're there for support then don't try to be her mom.
    Anonymous

• I just want my 1st experience as a doula to go as smoothly as possible. =) I'm not scared, really. I just want to be prepared.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:25 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Take an adult client.
    Anonymous

• im not a doula (but i would love to be one someday!!) but i think it will be alright, just relax. =^) her parents will probably be very glad to have you help. im sure they werent preparing themselves to help their young daughter with labor! they are probably so overwhelmed with all the other details of the situation.
    congratulations! what a privlege to be able to help future mamas!! good luck!!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 10:30 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I don't want to tell her no...because young mom's need doulas more than anybody. The whole world seems to be against them. I became a mom at 18 and it was rough. I really want to help her through her labor and birth. And thank you bettylou420 for the kind words!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:55 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I think that your trainer would be the best source of support on this.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:50 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• bettylou420 stated exactly what I was thinking.
    I wish I had doula's with each of my labors, it would have been wonderful!
    I wish you all the best - congratulations to your success!
    Just do what comes natural to you and you will be fine.
    Please update us on how it goes.
    ♥
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:40 AM on Jun. 16, 2009