To Epidural or NOT to Epidural..that is the question...

Had it with my first 5 years ago.. and now, I am a bit aprehensive.. not having one.. having one put in.. was wondering if anyone that has had one and then not had one.. could give me some insight before the blessed event.l. Thanks :)

Mom2Meredith

Asked by Mom2Meredith at 10:25 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had one with my first and basically am at the same spot as you are with my second. Its nice to not feel the contractions but my back pain is unbelievable now. Everyday a wake up and it aches. I think I might attempt without for the second but we will see how long that lasts! hah
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 10:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• i loved mine!!! it also made me progress 4 cm in less than an hour... i also spent most of my labor without it but once it was in, i was in heaven!!!!
    Mamakat90

Answer by Mamakat90 at 10:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• To have...it made the birthing experience not crappy for me.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:30 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I had it with my first one.. and have no complaints but now my mind is making a big deal of it.. and i was wondering if its really a big deal to not have one and if anyone thought it was better to not have one after they did have one.. guess maybe I just need to chlll or really find out the risks and stuff.. thanks!
    Mom2Meredith

Answer by Mom2Meredith at 10:31 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I went in there with the understanding that it was gonna hurt like a mother- I spent my time concentrating on the end result and my breathing, and it wasnt that bad-
    I wont get one next time until and IF I cant handle it anymore- Labor goes faster with out them and I HATE needles.
    Plus I read that it causes dammage to the nerve endings in your back, and could potentially cause life long back problems.
    Ill get one if I cant handle it, but I did fine the first time, Im sure ill do fine this time around!
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 10:33 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• just try it bare with the labor pain and SEE WHAT A DIFFERENCE in you baby sit back and write down now what your first was like immediately after birth and for the first week afterwards... then have one without and SEE THE AMAZING difference... and afterward let everyone here know the difference too
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:35 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I had one and it didn't work! I went through the annoying pain to get one for it to only numb me from my knees down. So I felt everything and honestly it hurt but wasn't unbearable. I have back pains every morning and night and I blame the epidural. I won't get another one.
    Bmanda352

Answer by Bmanda352 at 10:37 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I never had one, and it was fine. i was in the room with both my sisters when they gave birth (both had epi) and it actually prolonged the pushing. They couldnt feel the contractions and it made it harder to push with the strength they needed. I only pushed for 20 mins (thank god! that hurt! lol). It's up to you. My dad told me not to be a martor, go as long as you can w/o meds but if it's too much take them. GL! Hope all goes well for you!
    BertsMomma

Answer by BertsMomma at 10:40 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• i had one the first time. it only numbed the left side of my body. when i got it my labor practically stopped. we ended up with an emergency cesarian. the second and third time i went all natural. it was an amazing expirience, i am so glad i did it! now i wish i could handle more kids just so i could labor again.
    check out the book natural childbith the bradley way by susan mccuteon-rosegg
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 10:43 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• i got to the doctors to late to get any meds....as soon as i went into active labor i thought i was going to die! but it wasnt like that long because they had to put me on something to stop the labor to transfer me to another hospital because i was only 34 wks. then i had to have an emergency c-section. But if iwas able to i would have got an epidural for a vaginal delivery. It hurt way to bad and i have a verry high pain tollerance.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:44 PM on Jun. 15, 2009