Baby not wanting to eat

I have a 5 1/2 month old who has been refusing to take the bottle for the past 6 days. She is only drinking about 12-15 ounces per 24 hours. They orinigally thought it might be thrush so they treated her, but it is not helping. After bringing her in again, they stated that it is because she is getting a tooth and it can happen with the front 4 teeth (2 top, 2 bottom). Has anyone ever dealth with this? If so, how long did it last?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you only offered her warm formula? If so, that will make the throbbing of a new tooth worse. Try offering her cold stuff instead. She may just chew on the bottle for awhile to relieve those sore gums, but when the pain lessens a bit, she'll start drinking.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 10:28 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• or give her something to chew on like a cold wet towel and then try to slip the bottle in. Or try feeding when she is asleep??

Dont worry... they all go through this ... just like adults. Sometimes we just dont feel heaps hungry and appetite goes away. I know of a baby that did this for 4 weeks and was fine. Keep a close eye on her and GL
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 10:34 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• i haven't gone thru that but i would definitely keep the dr informed of the situation. and if she is having less than 3 wet diapers or her urine is dark it may be dehydration and u should contact the dr right away
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 11:40 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• my son is 5 1/2 months as well and is going through a stage where he really isn't wanting his bottle but will eat his cereal and jar foods. So I just offer his bottle as long as he will drink it, which right now isn't very long and then give him some cereal or jar food. He is teething as well so I am sure this has lots to do with his appettite.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:38 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Thanks for all your suggestions. She is starting to take a little more, but still is under 20 ounces per day.
    TaylorRose

Answer by TaylorRose at 2:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2009