How would you handle this?

A friend of mine is really into having parties at her house. Not wild parties, but the kind where you have to buy something, like home decorating items, spa stuff, jewelry, kitchen type things, etc. It seems nearly once a month I'm getting an invite to her house for one of these parties. I went to the first few just to support her as a friend, even bought some stuff I didn't need. Here lately I just give her an excuse, my daughter has ballet, my husband is working late and can't keep the kids, etc. How do I politely tell her to leave me out? I almost feel obligated to go and I don't need anymore junk.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• I would just politely tell her that you don't have the $ or time for those kinds of parties but if she wants to get together every once in a while give you a call.
    Ilovemy5joys

Answer by Ilovemy5joys at 10:43 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Just go. You don't HAVE to buy anything. You can enjoy the night out with some fun women, eat good snacks, and see your friend. Go to support her.
    I doubt with today's economy anyone will get on you about buying something, and if they do, they are not your friend after all.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 10:49 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• If she is a good friend she will understand your feelings. I would be honest with her and let her know that you would prefer not to be invited to anymore sales parties as you are not into them.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:11 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• OP here, thank you all, I guess I need to talk to her. It's not really that I don't want to spend the money, I'm just tired of the sales pitches and her asking every 3 seconds if I want to start selling whatever product she's selling at the moment. I guess I should have mentioned that in my question as well, but nearly every time we speak, she's asking if I want to become a rep for whatever. No, I don't . I don't need a paying job (I stay home with my kids and we are very comfortable), if I wanted one, I'd be looking. But yeah, I do feel obligated to be at all of her parties, and it's weighing on the relationship. Sometimes I want to avoid her all together, which makes me feel like a bad friend. Anyway, thanks for the advice ladies.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Jun. 16, 2009