Whats the Deal!?

I have a 4 year old and 38 wks prego.. for the last week, maybe 2 she has been coming into our room several times a night crying wanting me or my husband to sleep with her.. .and when you ask her why she has no idea... she says she isn't scared, she just doesn't want sleep alone. If I put her in the car, in her booster and walk around, by the time I get to the drivers seat.. she is in tears.. scared that I am going to leave her.. I have never left her ever.. she has never been to sitter that wasn't a grandparent and only spent the night with either grandparent a hand ful of times.. I can't even go downstairs to the laundry room without her yelling for me, and crying in fear of me leaving her.. any ideas?? She can be in the livign room and I in my room and she will yelll.. mommy!? where are you.. when I reply she says ok, just wondering where you are.. I am really not sure if I can handle this and a newborn!~

Mom2Meredith

Asked by Mom2Meredith at 10:42 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe she had a nightmare, I would ask her why she thinks you are going to leave and just reassure her
    Ilovemy5joys

Answer by Ilovemy5joys at 10:45 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• she can feel that something huge is going to happen! siblings are connected in an amazing way!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 10:45 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Have you and your husband talked about going to the hospital - are you preparing for that eventuality? If so, she may have seen/heard the preparations and doesn't fully connect the possibility of you leaving suddenly with the birth of her new sibling. Has anyone mentioned to her about the possibility that you may need to go to the hospital suddenly? If so, that may be what has set her off, especially if her knowledge of the hospital is limited only to emergencies, pain and/or death. So even a casual comment could have made her imagination go wild with the possibilities. Sit down and talk to her, see if maybe there's a part of her that's afraid of you going to the hospital and not coming back...or just not really understanding what's going to happen when her sibling is born.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:49 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• As far as the nightmare part goes, i can say thats a no.. because I have asked.. she says no... I just don't want to be by myself..and i ask her frequently if she she scared and she says (thru tears) no, I am just wondering where you are and don't want you to leave me... and I have said SEVERAL times over, we will NEVER leave her.. and she seems to understand it and accept it at the time, just later , she freaks out again .. its strange! thanks for the comments already tho.. cuz I am clueless as to what to do
    Mom2Meredith

Answer by Mom2Meredith at 12:06 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• It could be that she is scared that when you have the baby, that your not going to want her anyomore, and are going to just leave her somewhere. As far as the plan for the hospital are you taking her with you or are you leaving her with someone until you guys get home. It could be that she knows your going to be having the baby soon and if your leaving her some where that she won't see you for a while, or that you might accidently leaver her home, while you rush off to the hospital (which i doubt would be the case) but to a kid there imagination goes wild when there afraid of something. Try asking her why she thinks your going to leave her.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 8:55 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• my dd does the dame thing and she the same age as ur lo...its a seperation issue...i let my dd take a speacial toy with her in the car and i let her roll down her window to she can her me we make a silly came like i can see u ...no mommy i can see u or get her to sing her favorit song to u out the window intill u get in the car...any thing to make her comfy..try to stay in her sight all the time to...as for the bed issue i use to have to go lay inbed with my dd intill she calmed down and went back to sleep...then i quitely got up and went back to my bed...intill i got her another speacial toy to sleep with..a combination of a nite light, stuff animal, singing, and a tv is what gets my dd into bed every nite...but there r still some nites where she cant sleep through out the whole nite...i just repeat r routine again and this useally help...if she does it more then once a nite then i use the cio method.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jun. 16, 2009