For Christians ( I'm highly curious) no this is not intended to be a fight starter.

I dont know why I haven't hought of this before but I have a question for the christians out there that know their bibles well. THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO START A RELIGOUS DEBATE.

If a child was born into a family that never taught it the word of god, never read a bible, or never spoke of god. Then this child grows up never being exposed to the christian religion or has never heard of jesus. then dies before they are "saved". Will this person still go to hell?

I know in this day and age, not hearing about religion in general is a tough thing to do, but i am curious what god/the bible/church has to say about this.

momie_of_munch2

Asked by momie_of_munch2 at 10:56 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Again i did not post this to start a fight with anyone. If you feel compelled to argue please bring it somewhere else.
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 10:57 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I *think* the doctrine is that if you were never ever exposed at all then you are exempt from having the same fate as those who denied the Lord.
    tangyh

Answer by tangyh at 11:00 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    well the honest answe is I dont know.....but I can give you my thoughts as a Christian :)
    In the US there is NO such thing as a person not having the access to learning about God if they want, even if not raised in the church.
    BUT...there are parts of the world that are not yet reached. My belief is that if they TRULEY have not been exposed to/reached/learned of the word of God then they are at no fault and will not go to hell, just as a newborn baby who dies wheather the parents are Chrsitian or not does not go to hell.
    Like I said, I do not know this for certain, but it is what I believe.
    :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 11:00 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• LOL
    btw I LOVE the disclaimer
    :)
    mommymeg03

• I believe that anyone who lives a good, honest, decent life on earth goes to heaven EVEN IF THEY ARE ATHIEST OR AGNOSTIC ... I do not believe in saved I know lots of people who know Jesus but are not good people
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:01 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• why thank you lol
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 11:02 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• let me add to that ... last week Monday I watched a 7 year old little girl die in a parking lot after being hit 90mph into a building.... parents are simply agnostic there was no religous anything according to her parents
    THERE IS NO WAY you can get me to believe that an all 'good' God will let a 7 yo soul perrish simply cause she did not know as Jesus said his last dieing words "forgive them they know not what they do" and they were forgiven
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:06 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• God judges us according to what we know. But God is righteous and just and gives everyone that is able to understand an opportunity.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I was taught (before i stopped going to church) that children are exempt from hell until they reach a certain age. Many have put that age at 12. I dont see a god of any kine punishing the truely innoccent.
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• momie of munch2: it's the age of accountability and it's about 12 or 13. And I know the next question so - there are no specific bible verses re: "age of accountability" but in the Jewish culture 12 or 13 is when a boy will have his barmitzvah (sp?) etc. which is kind of what the age of accountability is based on. There's more to it but that's the basics.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 11:13 PM on Jun. 15, 2009