Besides a dog or cat what do you think makes the best pet?

RaeLynn1221

Asked by RaeLynn1221 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Pets

• I used to work for a pet store, and I would have to say the best pet for a small child would have to be a guinea pig. Hamsters can bite, especially if you get them from a pet store where a lot of times they have been inbred and not handled! Reptiles (especially turtles) carry a 70% chance of carrying salmonella, and we all know that children do not wash their hands reliably after handling animals! Rats also make excellent pets; they are extremely intelligent and can even be trained to do tricks like a puppy! I had one that would roll over and play dead for a treat! Guinea Pigs rarely ever bite, and are very furry and large enough to tolerate even a little more rough handling than other small mammals. Those would be the two I'd look into for a house with small children! Hope this helps!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I'm partial to hamsters. The big teddy bear kind.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:23 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• Rats... I know, I said the same thing but long story short I ended up with one accidentally and he was soooo smart, followed me around the house, listened when I called him, very sweet and affectionate. Only boys though, I tried having females and they nip, you also have to get them young.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 11:30 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• A parrot. My mom has a blue-fronted amazon. Granted, it hates me and everyone but her (it tolerates my stepdad). It loves her, but i've heard birds usually bond with one person anyway. But she(the parrot) talks and whistles. All through my childhood and even now still, the parrot yells my name and i use to come out and ask my mom what she wanted. lol. Sounded just like her.

I'd like a parrot someday. Maybe when i'm done having children and they're all in school. Someone to "talk" to. haha.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:41 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I would have to say a land turtle. They are so easy to maintain, and they are QUIET!!!! I have 3 cats, 1 dog, a quaker parrot and a box turtle. The turtle is by far my favorite. LOL.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 12:24 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• i love my bird =)
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:35 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I loved my rat. Angus used to follow me around the house like a little dog. And he had not one problem at all showing the cats he wasn't afraid of them. Smart as a whip. I would definitely get another one.

ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 2:32 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• We have female rats, got them young, and they have yet to bite us. We are able to give them baths once a month, clip their nails, if you get them make sure you get two, they usually sell for 5 dollars, but the cages can be expensive. And you can't get them a big cage until they are about 6 months when they are so big they can't escape through the bars. Very clever, try giving them toys to climb and chew during the day. If you let them in your room be careful they can chew through beds. Their stomachs are awesome. Ours have eated nail glue, wood glue, some other kind of glue, have drank my mixed drinks and yet they survived.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 10:56 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• lizards

very low maintenance. lol crickets and a tank and the substrate.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:03 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• When I was young I had a spider... I like fish tanks. My son's has all kinds of fish, a frog, and a snail. He loves it! He's always watching them. And it's all pretty easy to take care of.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 11:34 AM on Jun. 16, 2009