Discipline, what happened to it?

Coming from a strongly disciplined family, I look back and thank God we were raised that way. We respected our elders and our parents and never thought about talking back without being disciplined. Spanked, yes... it even was done in schools. But, everyone knew how to behave then. We didn't have all the discipline problems there are today. Schools were never violent. So, could it be the way kids are raised today the reason why we have so much problems with them? Are they too spoiled?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• ppl are terrified to discipline their kids and when they do, their children ignore them and do what they want. NOt all ppl, just some. then the tv has taught kids if your parents touch you or are mean to you(which is kid code for discipline) that they can call and get help. then there are the parents who could give a flying fart less and try to dump their kids off all the time and these children are angry and lacking the affection they crave. there are the ones who dont know how to parent and yell scream and cuss all the time and thats what the kids are learning. you have to give respect to your children, but you have to be firm and unwavering, and give them stucture and support and they will do the same back to you. if you teach them manners, they will know manners, if you show them hate, they will learn hate. i think everyone should take a class when they are prego with their first child so they know what to expect
    devonsmom

Answer by devonsmom at 1:11 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Thats messed up saying that just because of that other question but yes it does have to do with home the kids are raised but being spoiled has nothing to do with it...
    Anonymous

• The reason so many kids are disrespectful is because their parents allow them to be that way. They teach their children how to be disrespectful. Children learn from watching their parents acts, so when children disrespect teachers and elders, then the children think it is ok.

My child is respectful, intelligent, independent and not spoiled. I didn't spank him very often especially after he turned 4. A child doesn't need to be spanked to be respectful. They need to be taught how to be respectful, they need to see their parents act responsibly and respectfully. They need to know that if they act up in school, the teachers can discipline them.

BTW, if any teacher or school staff member spanked my child, there would be trouble. My parents didn't allow my school to spank me or my brother and I won't allow it either.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:39 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I fully agree with that reasoning. I think if parents weren't so worried about what other people thought && actually disciplined their kids then we wouldn't have near as many problems.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 11:41 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• I agree... My child is very respectful, shares and is very sweet to everyone, but he is also spoiled... Im not going to lie i spoil him... he gets almost every toy that he wants..... but he is nice and never acts out even if we tell him not.... but we have always tought him to be that way and be nice to everyone
    Anonymous

• Kids today are way too spoiled. My parents demanded respect. I have encountered kids who would outright refuse to do anything their parents said, and when the parent said anything they would ask "what are you gonna do about it" Well what are they gonna do about it? Most things are considered abuse these days. It is a darn shame you have to fear parenting.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:08 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• The problem with our society is that everyone is so scared of getting CPS called on them these days that they are scared to even so much as raise their voice at their children. If those trolls who call CPS on every little thing would mind their own business we couldn't have as many problems as we do now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Too many parents were raised in daycare centers and now, we have another generation of their children growing up in daycare centers instead of being raised by loving parents who discipline. Parents are dumping their children into daycare centers for the sake of the almighty dollar and they opt to ease their guilt by giving the kids material things and neglecting the discipline they so desperately need.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Hey Anon 9:49, you wanna pay me to stay home for the almighty dollar, 'cause I really don't wanna "dump my child into daycare" for it?!

Respect is a two way street. Have we forgotten that? I hear a lot of people demanding respect from children but very seldom do I hear of someone demanding giving respect TO children. Children learn what they live. And I am not saying that we should respect someone or placate someone who is being a punk and disrespecting others. We need to start when they are still young and not screwed up.

Quayla

Answer by Quayla at 2:41 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I find it interesting that people assume lack of spanking is the problem. According to a '98 AAP study, 90% of parents spank their children. And dont' say that statistic is too old - those children from '98 are todays crazy teenagers. I do not, in real life, know one family (besides ours) that does not spank. So many things have changed in the last 50 years, but spanking isn't one of them. One of the most significant changes IS mom working outside of the home. I'm not knocking that choice, nor am I saying it's the problem. Mom working does not have to be a problem. But when this issue comes up, it is more likely to be a factor than spanking.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:21 AM on Jun. 16, 2009