Any info appreciated

Hi ladies,
well i am just getting in about an hour ago. for the last week my family and i have been in court for my brother in laws murder. the jury went out to deliberate at 5pm today. they were dismissed at 9:30pm after asking the judge to be let go for the night. what do you think it means to have the jury taking this amount of time so far. any comments would be appreciated. just wondering if anyone has any experience with the "usual" outcome of a jury based on how long it is out. thanks!

BusyB-Mommy

Asked by BusyB-Mommy at 11:35 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• What is the charge? Murder 1, 2? Do they have the option for manslaughter or lesser charges? How long did the trial go? And is there a separate sentencing hearing, or do they determine that now as well?

Anonymous

• I'm not sure but my heart goes out to you and your family...hugs

Anonymous

• he is charged with murder 1 and 3. trial lasted a week. i think sentencing is done by the judge once his guilt is decided. what do you think about him not testifying? his girlfriend testified they drove to marylland in the early hours of the morning the night of the murder and -he threw something in a trash way in maryland-we live in pa that night and came back home right after that.
    BusyB-Mommy

Answer by BusyB-Mommy at 11:55 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• thanks! im hoping it comes back the way we want it to. my husband will be crushed. it will be like him dying all over again if he gets to walk away from this. his girlfriend testified that night he looked her in the eyes and said he did what he had to do. some months before my brother in law stole the guys gold chain(something he should not have done but did not decide to die over) the girlfriend testified that night she drove to maryland(we live in pa) with him and he threw something in a dumpster and then they came bak. a friend of his testified he was with him when he saw my brother in law and shot at him and then chased him into the alley and came back and said he just shot him. also keep in mind this guy used to be a pretty good friend with my husband and the families all know each other. its horrible. we have to go back to the courtroom 2mrw morning at 9am for the jury to continue deliberating
    BusyB-Mommy

Answer by BusyB-Mommy at 12:00 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• A week long trial is VERY short for murder 1. Either the prosecution has an open and shut case that the defense can't really counter, or the evidence is too thin to get a conviction. Not knowing what was presented, no way to predict.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:01 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• All I can surmise is the longer a jury deliberates the more "gray areas" there are among the jurors who are having difficulty agreeing on the verdict and/or sentencing--so the verdict may result in not guilty or a lesser recommendation in sentencing.

Quick deliberations usually mean guilty. But it all depends on how the cases were presented and the Judge's instructions (what jurors can can and cannot consider in their deliberations)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:07 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• It could take time for them to make sure that they can give a guilty verdict for the larger offense. If the evidence and testimony are not enough to get the larger offense then they could go for the murder 3. Although, I would think if you took a gun to the scene of a crime that would show premeditation. It's not always that easy though.
    I hope the jury comes back with the verdict you are hoping for.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I hope all turns out well for your family.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:07 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My mother served on a jury for a murder trial about 3 years ago. (The story was carried by CBS 48 hours.) The trial lasted about 2 weeks and the jury was only out for about 3 hours. It was pretty cut and dried but my Mom said later if the death penalty had been an option the jury would have been out much longer.
    You want the jury to consider the evidence and deliberate carefully. I am not sure what your opinion is on the outcome but I wish your family relief from the pain of the situation.

By the way, my mom had health repercussions from serving on the jury. She took it very seriously.
    LibraryLady200

Answer by LibraryLady200 at 2:54 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• just fyi guilty of murder 1 life in prison without the poss. of parole. yay!!!!!
    BusyB-Mommy

Answer by BusyB-Mommy at 7:26 PM on Jun. 17, 2009