waiting on the jury

Hi ladies,
well i am just getting in about an hour ago. for the last week my family and i have been in court for my brother in laws murder. the jury went out to deliberate at 5pm today. they were dismissed at 9:30pm after asking the judge to be let go for the night. what do you think it means to have the jury taking this amount of time so far. any comments would be appreciated. just wondering if anyone has any experience with the "usual" outcome of a jury based on how long it is out. thanks!

BusyB-Mommy

Asked by BusyB-Mommy at 11:36 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• I am not sure what to make of that, but I wish you the best outcome.
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 11:40 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• thanks-by the way what do you all think of the defendent not testifying at all in the case?
    BusyB-Mommy

Answer by BusyB-Mommy at 11:42 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• the defense probably feels that him testifying would be detrimental to the case so they tried to keep them out of the spotlight in some way or another (does that make sense?) Sometimes the jury finds that spineless and also feels that they are trying to hide something, so that may work in your favor. GL hon...
    Anonymous

• thanks! im hoping it comes back the way we want it to. my husband will be crushed. it will be like him dying all over again if he gets to walk away from this. his girlfriend testified that night he looked her in the eyes and said he did what he had to do. some months before my brother in law stole the guys gold chain(something he should not have done but did not decide to die over) the girlfriend testified that night she drove to maryland(we live in pa) with him and he threw something in a dumpster and then they came bak. a friend of his testified he was with him when he saw my brother in law and shot at him and then chased him into the alley and came back and said he just shot him. also keep in mind this guy used to be a pretty good friend with my husband and the families all know each other. its horrible. we have to go back to the courtroom 2mrw morning at 9am for the jury to continue deliberating
    BusyB-Mommy

Answer by BusyB-Mommy at 11:59 PM on Jun. 15, 2009

• It's not always good for the defense to have the defendant testify. Juries are not easy to read. Good luck.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:03 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• 4 and a half hours is NOT that long for a murder trial. The jury is determining someones guilt or innocense. They have a lot of evidence and testimony to go throug. Being on a trial is not that easy. When my cousin was murdered by his foster son and the son's friend, it took a day or so for the verdict. Even if the person is 100% GUILTY, they still have a constiutional right to a fair trial and that includes the jury deliberating and being able to go through all the evidence and testimony. Hang in there, it will soon be over. Don't let this eat you up, forgive (as hard as it may be) and move on. Remember your loved one in good times, honor his life. It takes a very strong person to forgive someone that has done so much hurt, but forgiveness helps with the healing. It does NOT mean you forget what happened or the person that is no longer with you. It tooks years for some of my family to forgive Eric and Danny, but once they did

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• cont. It was easier for them to move on and remember or cousin. I wish you the best and a speedy verdict so this phase is over.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:37 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Having covered many trials over the past 20 years....the length of deliberations only means there's a lot of evidence for the jury to sift. But four hours is nothing, especially if the death penalty is involved.

It's quite common for the defendant not to testify.

What I actually find odd is that the jury did any deliberating today, as late as they started.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:59 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• just fyi guilty of murder 1 life in prison without the poss. of parole. yay!!!!!
    BusyB-Mommy

Answer by BusyB-Mommy at 7:26 PM on Jun. 17, 2009