how big dose a child have to be to use a booster seat?

my son is 3 years old and pretty big for his age and i wated to know when he could move to the booster seat because when he is in the car his legs are craped and my boyfriend thinks that he would have more room in a booster seat. but i dont know what the law is or rules

jacobmommy62106

Asked by jacobmommy62106 at 11:51 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son is a large 3 yr osl and has been in a booster for awhile. i was really worried when everyone wanted to switch him and i put it off and put it off. and i looked at the state rules a lot before but once i did i loved it. here..in iowa....the rule is whenever they grow out of the 5 point harness they can be switched no weight limit. and he doent unlock his seat belt like i thought he would so it worked great.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 12:22 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Ohio is 4 yrs and 40 lbs minimum to come out of a 5 point harness. It varies state to state though. Safest is the 5 point harness though.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:00 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My dd is 3.5 and is still in a 5 point harrness. I will keep her there for a long time.

My son is 6 and I still wish he fit into a 5 point harness. They make them big enough for him, I just dont have one.

The longer they can stay in the 5 point harness the better. Its much safer!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:12 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Height is only part of what you need to consider. If he is still within the height guideline for his current seat AND the top holes for the shoulder straps are still above his shoulders, then leave him there.

Another thing to consider before moving him... how mature and responsible is he? If he drops his cup, snack, or toy, is he going to wiggle out of the loose car seat belt to get it? If the car shoulder belt irritates him, will he shove it behind his back? Will he just get out of his seat because he can?

And weight doesn't really matter at all, despite the badly written guidelines on the seats and the even more poorly written laws. As long as he isn't too heavy for his current seat, weight is not a factor for moving a child.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:38 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• They make seats that 5 pt harness to 65 pounds. I own one.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:24 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:30 AM on Jun. 16, 2009