• In the Spotlight:

5th year Mirena IUD questions/ Replacement questions

My Mirena was put in 7/2005 so as of next month I will be going into my 5th year of having it. I haven't had a period since early 2006.

I called my ob to see when it should be replaced & apparently my ins. won't cover replacement until I've had it in for 5 full years. How effective is the Mirena during its 5th year?

Also, when I got it put in I bled for 3 straight months (but then I only had a couple of periods after that before they went away for good.) Will I bleed again when it is replaced?

Thanks ladies-- I appreciate any info/experiences you can throw my way.

Sara1031

Asked by Sara1031 at 11:55 PM on Jun. 15, 2009 in Health

• It is pretty good the last year, u might want to look into a back up method if u really dont want any more though... and you will bleed when they replace it.... every person is diffrent though but i did when they replaced mine both times
    Anonymous

• When I got mine put in I got a card with it that said to have it replaced in 2/12 and my doctor said just come back in that month and she will take the old one out and put a new one in. I did ask if I would have spotting or bleeding when it was replaced and she said "Probably" because she has to re open the cervix to replace it. She told me that she had taken them out only for woman to have another child so far and not to replace it yet but she was sure by then she would have. As for how effective it is in the last year IDK but I would guess the same or they would say it was a 4 year IUD. The doctor did tell me that it most frequently fails with in the first few months because it falls out or the hormones aren't as effective yet. That is all the info I had but I asked a lot of questions before I got it.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 12:03 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• "I would guess the same or they would say it was a 4 year IUD" lol! I hadn't thought of it that way but I guess you're right! Thank you both for your answers!
    Sara1031

Answer by Sara1031 at 12:14 AM on Jun. 16, 2009