Really?

I just read on a post that vanillia extract works to help with the pain of teething, does it really? I have never heard of this before.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well it has alcohol in it so i assume it would be like putting brandy on the gums
    nadris29

Answer by nadris29 at 12:35 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I would think that it does. Vanilla abstract has alcohol in it. I have heard that many moms put whiskey on their baby's gums to numb them and to take away the pain.
    MommyLeary

Answer by MommyLeary at 12:37 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• wouldn't putting whisky in a baby's mouth get you put in jail? If it wasn't illegal I would do it, after a shot of whiskey I sure as heck can't feel my mouth.

Not that I would give a baby a shot, just an example of why........ < just had to say it since there are a lot of anon crankies on here tonight
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I have heard that it works, never tried it though.
    Kiiimmm

Answer by Kiiimmm at 1:42 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• We never tried the vanilla, we used teething tablets with our third child - the two older ones we rubbed their gums with rum (hang on, checking out the window to see if the cops are here to take me away.... nope, no cops :-) Luckily none of our three kids ever had a really tough time teething, 2 or 3 cranky days and those suckers just popped up.
    I think if you use vanilla you have to use the good extract, not the immitation stuff, but it's probably still cheaper than Orajel (which didn't work on any of my kids)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:53 AM on Jun. 16, 2009