• In the Spotlight:

dont you think that the food you grow and/or pick yourself taste soo much better?

i took my kids to a local berry farm on Saturday and the kids picked about 12 lbs of strawberries and they were the best i had ever had. through out dessert my oldest kept saying' me and dj and jess picked these thats why they taste so good'....

bonnie-jo

Asked by bonnie-jo at 12:40 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• All I've ever eaten was home grown fruits and vegetables. I currently have in my garden creole tomatos, cucumbers, mirilton, greens, bellpeppers(red & green), zucchini, squash, and onions(we'll see how they turn out).

I also have a fig and lemon tree. I cook the figs and add strawberry jello to make some really good jelly and my lemon tree makes a kick ass lemon meringue pie!

The kids plant watermelon seeds and the bud just turned into a little green baby melon, they get so tickled and anxious; they are ready to eat it.

The kids eat everything that comes from our garden or on our property.

I refuse to buy produce from a grocery store because everything comes from various countries, which makes me nervous. I'll go to our farmer's market if I need anything since they grown everything on site and you get to pick your produce off the vine.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 8:43 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• 12 pounds!? how much did that cost? strawberries are 12.99 for a half flat here
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:44 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I ablolutely love my avocadoes! They are the size of grapfruits.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:49 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• We got 25 pounds of shelled peas from our garden this weekend and had some for dinner tonight they were yummy. We are now giving them away to whoever wants to pick them.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 12:54 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• We just started a container garden with cherry tomatoes of different kinds, lemon cucumbers (cucumbers that are about the shape and size of a lemon), red hot cherry peppers, and spearmint. We grew tomatoes last year too and they were SO good picked straight from the vine and knowing I didn't have to worry about pesticides, etc.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:16 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I won't eat "home" grown food---I'm just weird---I want REAL food from the grocery store! lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:41 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I would love to grow my own stuff ..but have no clue how!!! My Moms friend has a raised garden bed and she has so much stuff in this little garden. She gives us stuff from it all the time :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I absolutely love cucumbers and green beans fresh out of the garden!!!
    jucyfrut

Answer by jucyfrut at 8:48 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• LOL anon, where do you think the food from the grocery store comes from? The reason that stuff you grow or pick locally tastes better is because you pick it at the peak of its ripeness. Most all the produce in the grocery stores are picked before they ripen, then shipped thousands of miles and sit on a grocery store shelf til they "ripen" which of course some things don't ripen once they are picked, and most of them lose vitamins and minerals the longer they sit, so that long transport period really takes away the flavor and nutrition.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:46 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• we paid $10 for 12 lbs of strawberries
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 6:13 PM on Jun. 17, 2009