I feel like such a bad mom.

I just had my son at the begining of this month and i just gave him his first bath with my husband. But i got his cord wet and my husband is making me feel like crap because it can get infected. I didnt know that it couldnt get wet at all. I feel like crying because of it. Am i a bad mom because i didnt know this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh honey please calm down! Of course you are not a bad mom! Tell your husband to kiss your ass! Everyone makes little mistakes, and this is really not a big deal. It was an honest mistake. We all make them! People do MUCH worse...trust me. Just keep an eye on his belly button and if you notice anything weird, take him to the doc. No biggie.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:54 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• You are not a bad mom. Sometimes things happen like that. Just keep a close eye on the cord.
    Or in the morning call the doctors office for some reassurance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Didn't they tell you at the hospital, or his first dr. appointment?
    Anonymous

• No you're not a bad mom, you are a new mom. We all make mistakes. Just be careful in the future. Don't give your baby a real bath until the stump has fallen off, just a sponge bath. Watch the stump for any signs of bleeding, drainage, or infection.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 12:52 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• no you're not a bad mom. everyone makes mistakes. it can get infected, but that doesn't mean it GOING to. just keep an eye on it, && definitely say something to your husband. What, is he the all knowing god of childcare?? Explain to him that he hurt your feelings && he can tell you NICELY if you aren't doing something the correct way.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:53 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• he hasnt had his first appointment yet thats on thursday this week. and they didnt tell me at the hospital. This is my first and i feel so bad
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• that was supposed to say *it's* sorry
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:54 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Gosh Anon 12:51... I'm sure if they told her that in the hosp, she would have known not to get it wet!

You're supposed to give him a sponge bath until it falls off. It should be okay, just make sure it stays dry and call the Dr if it doesn't look right. Good luck!
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 12:55 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• No darling, you are not a bad mom at all, you are a new mom with many things that you are getting accustomed to and learning as you go. We have all been there, even with the 2nd child and so on there are things that we learn. The reason that DH probably freaked out is because he is just as nervous and apprehensive as you are, they just tend to show it by being less than friendly and making us feel inadequate at times. It makes them feel better about themselves. You need to tell him that you need his support, not his criticism and you would appreciate it if he tried to take your feelings into account before he starts to say things that are hurtful to you. Just keep an eye on the umbilical cord stump and keep it dry from here on out. Sponge baths until it falls off. I am sure everything will be just fine.Best of luck to you and your family. *hugs*
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 1:00 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• You know what? I got my babies cords wet too. Not on purpose either, but it happened. I did give them a bath in the baby tub trying to wash around it but my poor lil baby was so stinky after about a week, I just did it. No your not a bad mom and he will be ok. We all do things that we feel guilty for. Beside he wont remember it. lol Its ok. Its not the last time you will screw up. Tell hubby to stop it and hes not perfect either.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 1:23 AM on Jun. 16, 2009