How do you introduce your children to the person you are dating?

My children are 7 (daughter) and 9 (son), I have been seeing this guy for a little over a month now. He has come around my kids and spent time with them as well. We do keep little to no affection to each other around them, they know that he is mommy's friend. But lately my daughter has started getting very clingy to me, she calls me when im gone or out. She waits for me to get home. But she also get jealous if he is not paying her enough attention to like play with my son. I dont know if it is her insercurites, or what to do. I thought about having a mommy and daughter day. To see what is going on, but im just not sure if she will open up. She can close up in her shell if she feels uncomfortble in a situation. Normally, she is very open when she comfortable. My son on the other hand is at that age to where, "It dont care mode.....and video games" She is the one that im concerned with. Do you have any advice for me?

Stace1_5

Asked by Stace1_5 at 12:49 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• I only kept it as he is my friend so my kids would not feel like he was taking me away from them. Sometimes once they lose dad they fear someone or something will take mom away too and they will be alone. Many times when adults get together they sometimes push kids to the background and they feel very left out. Just keep giving the kids equal attention and they will be fine. If he moves up to special friend then you can gradually add that but be careful. If it doesn't work out kids get hurt bc they get emotionally attached.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:49 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Don't introduce anyone who is not marriage material. Take this time to know him first yourself without bring your precious kids into the relationship. Have fun with your friend make a list of things you are looking for in a man and step dad determine if he fits that criteria. Dont' rush. Things are better slow.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 1:59 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Its gud to have someone in life who will bring joy and laughter esp when u had relationship early but be carefully my dear bc u have 2 take time 2 know ur new man in and out b4 u introduce to ur children. i wish u all tha best , take care
    shanicemom

Answer by shanicemom at 4:02 AM on Jun. 16, 2009