Bacteria in lakes... effects on fetus

For the 4th of July I am going up to clear lake in northern california. I've heard from friends that you shouldn't swim in lakes or rivers because the bacteria in them can harm the fetus. Has anyone gone in a lake or river while pregnant and not experienced any problems?

AmyOmommy

Asked by AmyOmommy at 1:02 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If your not dialated then it wouldnt be a problem because your cervix is still intact. Go and have fun swimming is a good exersize anyways. Have fun!! And if your still worried about it then just dont get compleatly wet....
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:08 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I also think it's fine. If you have not lost your mucus plug I would get in with no hesitation at all, besides, it's too hot just to watch everyone else swim!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 1:19 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• On top of these answers, remember not to swallow the water either...ingesting it whether pregnant or not can be bad for you...other than that, have fun =)
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 1:49 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I went swimming in a lake a few times while prego with my sons and he's fine. as long as your mucus plug is intact and your cervix is closed, go for it. have fun and stay cool!
    litlsuzzy

Answer by litlsuzzy at 8:48 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• That's what the mucus plug is for. Go and have a good time.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:45 AM on Jun. 16, 2009