DD is sick...

She has a dr appointment for 3pm tomorrow, the earliest appointment they had available. I'm just trying to decide whether to take her to the ER tonight or wait and try to get her in earlier tomorrow. She started vomiting/diarrhea last night, then went through about noon today with that, then around 4 she started getting a fever (101 at the highest so far), muscle aches, stuffy nose, and sore throat. I give her Tylenol and fever goes down for a few hours, then right back up again.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 1:26 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Health

• A 5 year old really has no need to go to the ER for a 101 temp unless you are concerned about her behavior. I mean like unless she is limp, super lethargic, etc. We have one of the best childrens hospitals in the country here and at that age they don't advise you to come in with fever until it's 104. That's a bit high even for me, but still I wouldn't fret over 101. I'd say unless she spikes a lot more you're fine to wait for her doctors appointment.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 1:37 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I just took her temp 1 hour after giving her tylenol and its at 101.4. what would you guys do?
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:30 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Oh BTW she is 5 years old.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:31 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• i'de take her to the er just cuz i dont like to sit around & not be abale to do anything when my baby feels that bad!! expecially that u cant even get special treatment from the doc office, i called n said i think she has an ear effection & had an appointment within the hour....but if u want to think sensable then it sprobaly to wait bc shell feel better laying in bed then waiting in the er till 3 pm tomarrow but she sounds horrable!!!
    LiVE2l0VE

Answer by LiVE2l0VE at 1:31 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I'm so sorry how old is she? I would want to take her too. She might have strep throat. IDK....if u can take her in to get tested if not do a walk in at an Urgent care center that takes your insurance the co-pays there are cheaper for me then a ER. Good luck. Giver her pedialyte

JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 1:33 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• This sounds silly, but it's great for a fever.....

Run her a lukewarm bath, and dump about half a bottle of rubbing alcohol in it. Yes, you'll have to make sure that none of her bathwater gets into her eyes, but it will bring her fever down in no time. She might smell a little funny afterwords, but it works every time. My Granny always did this when I had fevers as a child, and I do it for my three year old.

Also, let her have all the popsicles she can keep down. Good luck, and I hope she feels better soon.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 2:01 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I'm not trying to be rude but DON'T do the alcohol thing. It can actually be absorbed through the skin and cause alcohol poisoning.

http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-true-that-rubbing-alcohol-helps-bring-down-a-childs-fe_10310184.bc

aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 2:08 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Thanks so much for all the advice. We waited it out last night, just kept giving Tylenol every 4 hours, and she finally went to sleep around 4PM. We decided just to go ahead and keep her dr appointment for this afternoon. she also ate a popsicle last night and that seemed to help a little bit too, along with as much water as she could handle. Thanks again ladies!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:10 PM on Jun. 16, 2009