Embarrassed by peeing on the floor

My 16 month old was in the bathroom with Daddy last night waiting for him to give her a bath. She was stark naked and she peed on the floor. As soon as she did it, she looked at him, horrified, he said and started crying. Today, I was giving her a bath and I have always held her on the toilet for a minute or two before bath, while she is naked, to get her used to the potty. Well, today she peed in the potty, and clapped and said "Yay" when she was done. Is 16 months too early to start potty training? She seems like she is ready?

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:58 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It dosnt hurt to try it. If shes not ready then youll know but it sounds like she is. And its good that she know that going on the potty is a good thing and it sounds like your getting her used to it so thats great. i dont think its to soon to try. If it dosnt work then you wait a little longer and try agian. Good luck and hope it works out well!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:19 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Google "potty training readiness" and take the quiz. My 18 month old scored 16 out of 20. All babies are differnt, she may be ready. I wouldnt suggest pushing it though, just play with the idea and let her go at her own pace, shes still really young.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 2:04 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• OKAY call me CRAZY but my mom puts my daughter on the potty whenever she is over there sence she was 4 months old!! she also had me crawling to the potty! ok i was not as determined as her but it has been ingrained in my daughter what to do on the potty & i beleve she has known it sence just a few months after my mom first bought the potty for her to use when she is over there! i dont think ANY age is too early, from what ive seen, & i have started WHOREHEARTEDLY potty traning my lil one & at 14 months old she is in diapers but uses the potty at pretty much every chance, she just doesnt tell me when she needs to so i have to put her on it alot. when we do go to the bathroom, she walks right to cabnent opens it up & puts her potty seat on the potty so maybe your lil one is much smarter then u take her for =)
    LiVE2l0VE

Answer by LiVE2l0VE at 2:25 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• OH & you said u hold her for a min or 2, i started off doing that & getting much less results then if i let her sit there till shes ready to get off, we have sat there for a half hour be4 & nothing then she allofasudden goes, so she really does want to, n other times she will want off right away cuz she just doesnt have to, but once she knows what to do then u should let her let u know from then on cuz if def sounds like she does.
    LiVE2l0VE

Answer by LiVE2l0VE at 2:31 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My sons 9 months and i'm starting him off on potty training, when he wakes up first think i do is sit him on the potty, he usually pees/or poos. He hates having a dirty diaper and will try taking it off as soon as he's wet, or messed.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 6:39 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• You can encourage the potty but don't be discouraged when you have loads of dirty laundry. Some children it just hits them right away and some regress back to the way it used to be. (diapers/pullups)
    momof4under5

Answer by momof4under5 at 9:04 AM on Jun. 16, 2009