2 month old stopped up nose

My DD has had either a runny or stopped up nose for a week now, mostly stopped up. Every morning and after she wakes up from naps or dozing off for a bit it is the worst. But it's never cleared. I use the nasal aspirator(or nose sucker as I like to call it lol) but she screams bloody murder most times. It takes a good ten minutes to get all I can with the bulb, but when she breathes through her nose I can hear she is still stopped up. She had a cough for about 2 days at first but that has gone away. She also had her shots after she'd had this nose problem(started on Monday, shots on Tuesday) And she can't eat very well(she is breast fed) because she can't breath while she eats! So it takes forever. What can I do to help this? Is there anything I can give her? Is there something else I need to be doing that I'm not? I'm a first time mom and I don't know what to do =(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:24 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had the same issue when my son was 2 months old. Here is what I did... I used the boogie sucker, as we call it, but I also used it with the saline (spelling?) sprayer. Without the spray, I could not loosen up the junk in there, and was not very successful clearing the nose completely. Also, the baby noticed the difference the spray and boogie sucker made, so I would tell him (as if he understood) want to help mommy get those boogies, and then I would let his hand touch the asperator as I approached his nose. Seemed to involve him, rather than appear like I was forcing a foreign object up his nose. Hope this helps. He is 7 months now, and I use the same method mentioned here. Still works.
    DanaLM

Answer by DanaLM at 10:44 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• some times when my sons stuffy, i suction his mouth if his nose is clean because sometimes its stuck between the nose and mouth. It may help. If anything call the pedi, your dd my have a cold
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 4:34 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I take my dd into the bathroom with me when she is like this. Turn the shower on HOT and let it run. It creates a steam room at home and helps to loosen the mucus. Also are you using a saline spray or just the sucker? You can use a saline spray (specifically for babies to make the snot runny and then easier to get out
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 7:28 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I use the little noses saline spray. It loosen it all up and I am able to suck a bunch out at once.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 7:39 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Definitely use baby saline...Simply Saline for babies is great. There is now a battery powered aspirator with a clear cup. I am always amazed at how much gook I get out of my 16 month old's nose when he has a cold. You can find the aspirator at Walmart or Target. It is made by Bebe Sounds. HTH!!
    HeatherCrumm

Answer by HeatherCrumm at 8:55 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• BEST THING IN THE WHOLE WORLD.Go to Walmart where the cold medicine is and look for a box that says "Little Noses".It is non medicated so it wont drug them up and it clears the nose and throat completly.I live by this stuff.It is about 5-6 dollars and works great.Good Luck.
    krazymomma427

Answer by krazymomma427 at 11:18 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I use Little Noses & it works wonders. Just a few drops & then use the bulb on the nose. You can also get a vaporizor of take your baby in the bathroom with you while you are showering. Let he/she set in a bouncer. Also I was told by my pediatrician to let my baby sleep upright for a few days in her car seat.
    JanMichelle

Answer by JanMichelle at 9:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2009