2 month old stopped up nose

My DD has had either a runny or stopped up nose for a week now, mostly stopped up. Every morning and after she wakes up from naps or dozing off for a bit it is the worst. But it's never cleared. I use the nasal aspirator(or nose sucker as I like to call it lol) but she screams bloody murder most times. It takes a good ten minutes to get all I can with the bulb, but when she breathes through her nose I can hear she is still stopped up. She had a cough for about 2 days at first but that has gone away. She also had her shots after she'd had this nose problem(started on Monday, shots on Tuesday) And she can't eat very well(she is breast fed) because she can't breath while she eats! So it takes forever. What can I do to help this? Is there anything I can give her? Is there something else I need to be doing that I'm not? I'm a first time mom and I don't know what to do =(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:25 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• it sounds like you are doing things the right way. I know its hard when she screams but it really is the best thing for her. Do you use saline drops? You can get them at the pharmacy, just put a drop or two in each nostril and suck it out with the bulb. She's gonna hate it, but all kids hate people messing with their nose. And it will help break up whatever is in her sinuses and bring it down to where you can suck it out. Alike other people said, steam also, take her in the bathroom with you and run the shower really hot. A humidifier will help too, unfortunately that's pretty much all you can do since she's so young. Good luck!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:02 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• take some of the vicks baby rub and rub it under her nose I know it says chest but rub a little under her nose it will help but first use the buger sucker I know they hate it, when I did it with my baby I made noises to distract him from the bugers being sucked out and also rub that vicks on her chest and neck that stuff works good
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 3:34 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• They sell aspirators that are battery powered now, you can get them at babies r us, it makes it so much easier than the little bulb suckers we are used to. Also get some little remedies saline drops to make the dried up boogies easier to get out. Also the vicks idea is great, but put some on the soles of her feet too, I don't know why it works but it does.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 3:40 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• when my daughter is stopped up real bad i just stick her in a nice warm bath. the heat turns a stuffy nose in to a leaky faucet...lol but it helps her breath. and if u've been to the doctor and she isn't sick...i would consider maybe she is having alergies...i would get that checked out, untill then they make sailene nose drops, and tylenol makes medicine for cold symptoms...i would def. try something, i know how miserable i am when my nose is stuffed. good luck.
    melissacoulter

Answer by melissacoulter at 8:45 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• oh, we have a vicks vaporizer, and when she's sick we let it run thru the night and any time shes sleeping, it really helps to keep her clear...again, good luck!
    melissacoulter

Answer by melissacoulter at 8:46 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Steam steam steam - best help for stuffy noses. Moisture helps break up the mucous, so steam baths and a humidifier in the room.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:56 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I would recomend saline drops. I would ask before you rub any Vicks on her as she is so little. A cool mist voporizer in her room should help too. Sorry she is not feeling well. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:15 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• First suck all you can out using the bulb thing and then put your breast milk in each nostril-she wont like it but she will taste the milk and not fight you, eventually (it worked for my son). Do it a couple times a day whenever she needs it. Especially before eating and before taking a nap or going to bed.

For you eat and drink foods that will help her fight the cold ie: garlic, enchinea/goldenseal tea, lots of vitamin C and D, and A.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 11:31 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Also if she was sick when she had her appt. the doctor is an IDIOT -if a child is sick they are suppossed to hold off on their shots until they are better!!!! GRRRRRR-that is not helping her immune system at all.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 11:33 AM on Jun. 16, 2009