when will it change?

i just had my son on the 4th of this month and he has only been home for 4 days. but he has his nights and days backwards. when will he change. is there something i can do to keep him awake durring the day so he will sleep at night...its 2 am and hes wide awake now

Shelii

Asked by Shelii at 3:57 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is very common and yes he will change, but on his schedule. What I did when my son got like this was not be quiet while he slept during the day. Let everyone around make as much noise as they want and I also didn't put him in a dark room, but rather in the bassinet in the middle of the living room. I never purposely woke him up, but I made it difficult to sleep. At night when he would wake up I would nurse, change diaper, nurse and rock in a very quiet, dark room. He eventually got it figured out and was sleeping pretty well by about 6 weeks old.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:11 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• it will change soon. By the time my dd was a month old, she was getting off the backwards schedule. By 3 months she was sleeping through the night. It does change :)
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:07 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Just show him the difference between day and night by your actions. Days are bright and fun and nights are dark and quiet. Feed in a dark room at night and be BORING. He will get the message quick smart.

But newborns also split their sleep up into 7-8 equal "periods" this includes their night time sleep too. You wont see much sleep at night because they need to eat but you can reduce the time he is awake by the above. Good luck
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 7:22 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• ps: dont try to keep him up during the day because he will then be overtired and even harder to settle and stay asleep
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 7:23 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My doctor told me that I should wake my baby every 3 hours to eat during the day but to let her sleep at night...not that she will automatically sleep through right away, but eventually this should help. If your baby has only been home 4 days I would say be patient, it might take a while to get on a good schedule.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:59 AM on Jun. 16, 2009