How do I get him to stop??

My dad and I used to be close, but ever since I met my hubby my dad has been trying to break us up. It really didn't bother me before but tonight, my dad says "I don't know why you're with him after he hit you"......... MY HUSBAND HAS NEVER EVER HIT ME!!! Never touched me in any way out of anger.. if he had, i wouldn't be with him right now - plain as that! I can't believe my dad is saying this to me! He is acting like I told him my husband hit me! I am not abused, actually far from it! I WAS in an abusive relationship and learned a lot from that ordeal. I mean, I was constantly monitored... every move! We were never even married and I had to report EVERYTHING to him. My dad never knew I was dating that guy and I did tell him about it a few months ago. I guess I'm wondering if dad got the names mixed up??? They both start with the same letter.... if I confront him he says "lets just drop it"
Cont.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:00 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Relationships

• It sounds to me like your dad might be confused. Perhaps the beginning of Alzheimer's or something. I would sit down with dad and tell him you don't remember telling him X hit you, and could he please remind you of what you said. Then, if he tells you what you told him about the other guy, you can clear it up. If he tells you something different, or can't/won't tell you anything, then I'd see if I could find a way to gently suggest that he see his dr. The other stuff (the potato and bible) also indicates to me that it could be Alzheimers. My grandmother had it, and she once chased me thru the house with a steak knife b/c I asked her to put the toilet lid down so the cat wouldn't drink out of it. The more I think about it, the more I think it would probably be a good idea to find a way to get him to a dr. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:48 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• cont.
    I don't know what to do! I can't tell my husband, they have NEVER gotten along and my dad always tries to fight my husband. No, my dad doesn't drink either. If I tell my husband it's gunna make him more mad. My dad also tried to get me to save $ in a bank account hubby couldn't touch (my husband did tell me to get one he couldn't dig into!) but my dad then says I could use it for my "divorce!" I don't know what to do!!! I feel like when I talk to him, he's just trying to get me to leave my hubby!!! I love my hubby and can't figure out what my dad's deal is!! Is it he's just THAT protective???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• How old is your father? could it be the start of losing his mind? Im not kidding im being dead serious. Could there be something else going on with your father then that he is very over protective of you. If that can't be it then maybe you and your father need to sit down and have a good long heart to heart and tell your father that this man your with you love and care for very much and that you are in no harm at all. Ask your father to give this man your with a chance and you show him that he really is a good guy. I hope that helps you some. Have a great day : )
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:12 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• my dad is almost 50... i thought he was starting to loose about a year ago, like he has a hard time remember anything and he always misunderstands what my brothers or I say. It just REALLY hurts me that he thinks this of my husband... and that I wouldn't leave a man who hit me!!! They have tried to sit and get to know eachother but every time my husband tries, my dad tries to fight him... LITERALLY! He threw a potato at him, a bible and almost started throwing fists once! My husband wants nothing to do with him and I do understand that because if his family treated me like that, I wouldn't want to see them either!!! My hubby has given up trying now and my dad goes back and forth with trying. I just feel like I've been raised by a crazy family!!!! When I was 16 my mom tried getting me to have a 3some with her and different men from bars... which was also when that abusive relationship started...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Thank you for you help also!!! It makes sense, all that you said!!! I greatly appreciate it!!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:37 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• my dad and my hubby were the same way...then they literally fought and everything is better...its like a territory....(sp) you....you are your dads kids...there for his forever, to your hubby your his wife and other half...id let them fight...
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 7:01 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• From what I have read my first thought is it something mental with your dad.You said he has a hard time understanding and problems with remembering. That could be your problem right there.Keep a check on him and see if it keeps going on, then go from there.If it is a mental problem, then he can't help it and your husband will have to learn to deal with him different.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 8:10 AM on Jun. 16, 2009