Killing ants

What is the safest way to kill ants. I do not want to use ant spray due to my son. What else can I use?

JacobsMommy05

Asked by JacobsMommy05 at 4:02 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Home & Garden

• There are terro traps so you don't spray, but it's posion so make sure your son doesn't get into it. However, when I used this it DID kill the ants, but it also brought more in because they are attracted to that stuff. So IDK....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:05 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Thanks but I want something healthy to just be safe. I heard chalks helps them stay away but there are already in my bathroom.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 4:08 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Try cornmeal, its supposed to kill them (like uncooked rice and birds) it expands when they eat it killing them
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 6:15 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Spray white vineger where they gather. You can also try orange oil.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:07 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• i have also heard that you can take chalk and create a line where you don't want them to cross. I haven't tried it yet, b/c I'm not having a current ant problem, but if you do, let me know if this really works. :) Something about the chalk getting on their legs.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:55 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• The chalk thing is a myth. We have tried it and they walk right over it!! LOL They are pesky little critters.

Honestly, the best product we have found is made by Ortho and it's a Home Defense Max product. You spray it along the foundation of the outside of your home and it stops them from coming in. You can use it indoors and I don't like using sprays around my children either, but the ants were driving us crazy. I waited until nighttime on a cool night when my kids were asleep and then sprayed along the exterior walls of the house around the baseboards. The smell was minimal and by morning you couldn't even tell. That has cut the ants inside my kitchen and bathroom down dramatically.

If you're still having a lot of ants, you may actually have a colony inside your walls and that would require an exterminator. We've been down that road too!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I will try the cornmeal and vinegar. What about oatmeal would that work like cornmeal? May be a stupid question but thought I would ask. or the baby cereal.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 27, 2009