• In the Spotlight:

A Question for my fellow Non-Christians....

I work at a huge community health center in the pediatric department. We participate in a program called Reach Out and Read where every time a child from 6 mos old to 8 years old comes in for a physical they get a free book.

The other day we got a new shipment of books from Scholastic. The shipments are randomly packed so we have no say in what books we get. One of the books we received was called Noah's Ark, it came with a hand puppet that had 4 animals and Noah on it. The words in the book are nothing more then, "Noah loves the ________" and it says which every animal is pictured on that page. The book is for our 6 mo-12 mo-ers.
Anyway, we are not allowed to give the book out because it is considered religious.
Would you be offended if someone handed that book to your child?

anetrnlov

Asked by anetrnlov at 5:52 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I wouldn't be and i don't belong to any religon.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 5:55 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• As a Pagan and someone who does not like having other beliefs pushed on her.....I think this is a little ridiculous.  Many religions believe in a Great Flood.  Beside that, there is no Biblical reference what so ever in the book.  Not to mention it is for kids 6 months to 12 months.....they don't know Adam from the man in the moon, you could call it Bob's Boat for all they know and by the time they are able to read it is very likely that the book will be gone by then as babies are hard on books.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 5:58 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• a suggestion maybe you guys can put like two or three options for parents to choose including Noah's Ark and let them decide on one book. If they pick it then its not like your forcing them to take it.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 6:23 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• i like vgiron's idea. There is no need to just not let anyone have it. and if there is no religious reference then i dont see it being a big deal. Im sure there are alot of people that would still be happy to have the book.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 7:04 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't have a problem with it, and I am not religious at all. I don't have a problem with my daughter learning about any religion. I have a problem with people trying to push their belief of that religion on her or I. I also have a problem when people start talking about people going to hell for things. But learning about the basics of the religion I have no problem with.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 7:09 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I like Vgiron's idea too. 

I personally would politely refuse the book but a Christian family would probably appreciate it.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:24 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't want it. Don't know if I would be offended or not, depends on the situation I guess.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• It's just a story, so no, I wouldn't be offended.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:24 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't be offended. I would probably take the book, say thank you, and then either give it to someone I know would like it, or donate it somewhere.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:50 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• as a non christen i still intend to raise my children with a knowledge of the biblical stories and beliefs since it is a belief help by a lot of the world and i feel it would be a disservice to my children for my to sensor all biblical references out, i will however make sure they know that this is not the beleif system held in our house. So no it would not be offensive to me. Expecially since there aren't any biblical references
    mbaker331

Answer by mbaker331 at 9:54 AM on Jun. 16, 2009