Can you get a 2nd trimester abortion for non-medical reasons?

Not a debate, just wondering. Twenty years ago, my cousin who was then a teenager had an abortion in her 2nd trimester, because she kept the pregnancy hidden from her parents until they figured it out on their own. Once everyone knew, they decided that was the best thing for her to do. Is it still legal to have a 2nd trimester abortion under these circumstances? With the recent shooting of Dr. Tiller I've gotten the impression that 2nd trimester abortions are only done for medical reasons. I'm wondering if there has been a change in the law since my cousin had hers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The law allows you to partially birth a 9 month fetus and kill it. How's that for sick!?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Thanks Mr. Obama!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• anon:29&30
    Please post the links to support your stupid claims!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• why should WE post links? Ever hear of GOOGLE?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• OMG some of you are just STUPID. Dr. Tiller didn't do it "just because" these women wanted them to and Obama has nothing to do with it other anon. Abortion has been around before it was even legal, dumb arses.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Please define non-medical reasons.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:55 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Here in Missouri it is legal to get an abortion up until the 24th week of pregnancy. I don't know about other states. And no, it doesn't have to be for medical reasons. I only know this because the child I am pregnant with now ran a very high risk of developing spina bifida and my doctors advised me on every possible route of action.

ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:50 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

NO, partial birth abortions are illegal per a Supreme Court Decision back in 2002.

And yes, abortions are legal in the first part of the second trimester. Up to 20 weeks from what I understand. I would think it would be harder to find a clinic who will do one past 15 weeks or so.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:52 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• The scope of 'medical conditions' can be used very loosely. If a woman really wants an abortion and goes in and tells the Dr. that she will commit suicide if she has to carry the baby to term they can determine that that falls under 'medical conditions'.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Since some people are too stupid or too lazy to share where they're getting their misinformation I'll go ahead and post some REAL facts:

PBAA

Read the full text of the act here

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Jun. 16, 2009