I have a window in my living room that does not open, it's not designed to open, dont know why. Other than portable AC how can i cool the living room down in the summer?

proudmomma777

Asked by proudmomma777 at 8:14 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Try to block the sunlight from coming through the windows with a heavy curtain or a covering. That is big help for me.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 8:20 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• they make tint for windows...house windows, you can try that, or you can get dark shades or curtians....if you dont like the dark, they have these blinds called wood blinds...they are thicker than regular plastic blinds and block out all the heat from the sun and still let light thru, a lil more expensive than regular blinds but they come in the same colors as any other kind of blind...and you can get them on line or at wal-mart or lowes or where ever you can get regular blinds i assume...and then your living room wont look like a dungeon with the dark curtians...lol good luck...hope this helps!
    melissacoulter

Answer by melissacoulter at 8:28 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Ceiling fans can be a big help.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:07 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• a swamp cooler?

If you have AC in the rest of your house, you could just use fans to blow the cool air to the living room.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• You could replace that window. Replacing one widow should not be too expensive.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 2:30 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• growing up my grandmother put foil on the windows to block the sun. It works really well.. I did it to my bedroom window to block the sun because my hubby works nights.. I love it in my bedroom now. Very chilly and dark at night.
    aimige

Answer by aimige at 3:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• cavalry baby, thanks, I've never heard of a swamp cooler before, i just researched it and I think this could work for us. Our celing is too low for a ceiling fan DH is 6'5", he would not be able to walk freely and the window is huge, wall to wall and ceiling to about 1 foot off the ground, pretty pricey to change, maybe in the future though. Thanks again, you ladies are great!
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 12:39 AM on Jun. 17, 2009