• In the Spotlight:

What worked best for u.....

My 18 mo DD has a red tushy :( I have heard that baking soda or oatmeal in a warm bath works but just was curious if anyone has tried these methods & did it help on their LO. If u have any other suggestions besides rash cream (which I will obviously be useing as well) please let me know. Thanks

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 8:33 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• honestly both work very well...i have tried them both...my daughter has very sinsitive skin, and some diapers relly bothered her behind...so, my mom told me to try these methods, in my opinion i liked the baking soda better...it helps hold moisture in the skin and keeps the rash from gettin worse, plus it soothes their bottoms, takes the burn and redness out...
    also, if possible, let her go a few short periods of time thru out the day w/o a diaper on...it wont be there to rub against her skin, and it dries the rash out faster.
    melissacoulter

Answer by melissacoulter at 8:41 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• i always used that aveeno oatmeal in a bath and it works pretty well. i also have tried vaseline (they make a special baby kind) and that REALLY helps. good luck, hope her tushy heals soon!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:35 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Thanks moms I have heard the baking soda method before and think I will try that one shortly here in a warm tubby. Having her be w/o a diaper on has def worked for her in the pass however, when her boawls are really loose like they r right now I get afraid she'll just let go of something nasty somewhere & I feel bad b/c its not her fault.She also will not sit still on a towel anywhere so I can allow her to be naked. Wish she was potty trained sometimes :(!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:48 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• If it is nice out side. When you let her go without a diaper put a bigger shirt on or dress and let her walk around outback in your yard then if she does let her bowels go it would be in the yard and easily washed with a water hose. the fresh air will help her bumm too. Good luck. I had 4 kids and they were very sensitive to diapers. I could only use huggies. the diaper cream worked best. there was one the got rid of the rash very quikly and I cannot remember the name if I remember I will let you know. Good luck.
    4grtkds

Answer by 4grtkds at 9:23 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Thanks so much moms! I gave her a baking soda bath just put in like 2 Tbls & as a bonus she stayed sitting on my lap while watching a cartoon naked for a bit. This dried her right out & it already looks better she didnt even cry when I put on her diaper! Letting her run outside on a nice warm day w/o a diaper is also a great idea & will do that through out the summer :) I really appreciate ur input thanks again!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:30 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Loose bowels can be very acidic. It can burn them in a very short time. Baking Soda helps, and airing out is best. My DS had a bad rash when he was born, the hospital gave me a tube of Pinxalve, pronounced Pink Salve. It used to be prescription only, now it is OTC but you have to ask the pharmacist for it. This stuff works better than butt paste, A&D, Desitin etc. It is very healing! If it is good enough for a hospital nursery, it is good enough for my kids tushies.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:11 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• forgive me on sp but i beaudreaux butt paste is AMAZING! love it love it love it.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 10:15 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Aquaphor works wonders on diaper rash.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2009