We recently got a puppy and my 3 year old seems to love him. Her attitude however has become horrible. Almost like she is competing for attention and is acting out. Any suggestions?

angib242

Asked by angib242 at 8:41 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe she thinks the dog is replaceing her (like some kids do with younger siblings) Try giving her some stuff she can help with for the puppy, like maybe put the puppys food in a cup and let her pour it in the bowl.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 8:45 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I agree. I breed Bullmastiffs and the best thing you can do for a young child is give them jobs to help take care of the puppy. so that they are learning to be in charge first of all. and also to build a bond that they it is very important to help take care of the puppy. It will make the child feel important and help with leadership roles. Also it will help the puppy to learn right away that the child is a leader and to obey. It is a great learing and teaching for both child and puppy.
    4grtkds

Answer by 4grtkds at 9:16 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Make sure that they are getting equal attention too.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 10:45 AM on Jun. 16, 2009