I need to break my baby from breastfeeding!!

My little girl will be a year old in just a few weeks and I am desperate to break her from breastfeeding. She has always refused bottles, so that is out of the question. even when i pump she will drink nothing but water, and it has to be from a cup. In just the past few days she has started eating food, before now everything literally gagged her. (dr. says there is nothing wrong with her though) During the day she will take a nap if i am not in the house, but at night time not even her dad can settle her down unless i breastfeed her to sleep, and several times through the night. She doesn't eventually calm down...she screams until she starts throwing up. I don't know what to do, and my doctor has been no help. The other day she bit me so hard she drew blood...so it is literally becoming painful! Please please please someone help me!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's still very young to wean, and if she has only just started eating foods then she is still VERY dependant on your milk.
    My advice would be to stop the biting (go to the main breastfeeding group here on cafemom and look for the thread "when babies attack") - you CAN make breastfeeding more comfortable.

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:15 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• i wouldnt' suggest stopping breastfeeding all at once, but try pumping and using a sippy cup for the milk If you have a wic center they may be able to offer some good advice.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 9:32 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• You want to "break" her of breastfeeding? It's not like she has a bad habit here. If you want to wean, most experts recommend dropping one feeding at a time. Compare it to eating chocolate. How would you feel if your doctor said you had to quit it cold turkey? But if you could cut out a little at a time, it would be easier to transition. Drop a feeding a week or so if you want to completely wean.

Second, she has JUST started solids? Consider whether now is an appropriate time to wean her. You would be cutting out the major source of nutrition in her life. What are you replacing it with? If it's the major source of nutrition, it HAS to be formula, even if she's over a year. If she's eating a variety of fods, then it's not a big deal. But it sounds like she just started solids, and that's not a time to cut a good, steady diet of breastmilk.

Handle the biting. there is NOTHING wrong with teaching nursing manners.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:02 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I agree, at one, you really need to slowly wean especially if you are her main source of nutrition. Just start by gradually adding more foods and milk to her diet. She will start nursing less, but will probably still need to nurse to sleep. I know what you mean, my dd would only go to sleep with me nursing her as well so I dreaded weaning, didn't know how. But one day at 18 months, we both got an infection and it hurt so bad I just decided to go ahead and stop bc she only nursed to sleep anyway. I just told her "no more boobie, all gone" and cradled her to sleep. she would caress my breasts while she fell asleep, it was so sweet, but she didn't try to nurse again. I was shocked how easy it was. Not all kids are going to be that easy of course, but most kids that age understand "all gone" to a point, but I am not sure about at 12 months. There are lots of way to wean, check out the breastfeeding groups for help.
    Chick

Answer by Chick at 10:03 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• how do you begin weaning at night?? any suggestions
    rubymom7408

Answer by rubymom7408 at 10:22 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Does/will she take a binki at night? I would pump and do the sippy. My dd has drawn blood three times while nursing. Enough to go thru my clothes. The suggestions I have gotten here has not helped so she only nurses at night. Maybe try a different nipple or the sippy cup. Don't let these people influence you if its what u feel u need to do. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jun. 16, 2009