WEANING HELP!

my son has just turned one and as i read in my what to expect the toddler years book it suggest I start weaning him off the bottle. The bottle is the only way i have been ever able to get him to sleep unless he is way overly tired. any suggestions?

hwoods88

Asked by hwoods88 at 8:49 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• thats a bad habit...i mean only thing i can suggest is to put juice in a sippy cup and go from there...my son was 8 months and quit drinking from a bottle, your are just now starting to take him off the bottle....usually your supposed to start introducing them to it around 7-9 months...i did with my son....everyone is different...just try a sippy cup
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 8:53 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Yeah, well i have the same problem with my youngest. He loves his bubba. but most of the time a sippy does work. Does he drink from a sippy at all? If not try this first, give him a sippy during the day, and try too at night but if he won't go to sleep without a bottle just let him have only for sleep time. Also i don't know if you put milk in the bottle at bed or not. But this is not a good idea. If he needs a bottle to go to sleep just give him water in it. My oldest was the hardest one to break with this, I had concerns and asked the doctor she said it was no big deal if it was just water in it. He used it only at bed time until he was 3. He would even fill it up himself. Most of the time he didn't even drink from it. He would just hold it for security. But if it really concerns you have a talk with the doctor, they usually have seen it all.
    jmann83

Answer by jmann83 at 9:44 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• All children should be completly bottle broke BEFORE the age of one. I have the same book. The reason is because they are alot more comfortable with change before a year. They should be pacifier broke around 4 months and should never be feed to sleep after they are out of the newborn stage-or at least by the time thye get their first tooth. Feeding to sleep causes tooth decay and your child will end up with a mouth full of pain, then a mouth full of gross looking silver fillings. You MUST brush his teeth before bed and nothing but water after that. Give him a sippy during the day to replace one feeding and then just increase the number of sippys each day. You may have to get several types of sippys due to his prefferance.
    Anonymous