How do I get infant to sleep in crib (2 months old) and not in carrier/mom's chest?

Gunnarsmom09

Asked by Gunnarsmom09 at 8:59 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you mean during the day or at night?
    My DS is 5.5months old now and until he was about 3 months old he would never nap in his crib.
    At night I stuck to a strict routine (undress, bath, massage, dress, feed then put him in crib) and he would only wake up 1-2 times a night. When he was about 2 months old he slept throught he night.
    During the day he fell asleep in my arms while feeding him or the stroller when we would go for a walk.When I tried to put him in his crib he woke up within 2 minutes. What worked for me was a mini bedtime routine (change diaper, take pants and socks off, play the same song as he listens to at night). Also, once in crib, he stays in crib (when he's supposed to sleep) and only comes out to be changed or fed.
    I just stick to the same routine and just place him in crib when it is time to sleep. He still only takes 30-45min naps, but in his crib and I have my hands free:)
    januarymom81

Answer by januarymom81 at 9:09 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• they grow up so fast, blink and you'll be regretting the times you put him in the crib alone instead of hugging him while he slept.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• If I were you, I would get your baby up a few hours before it is time for him/her to go to bed. Play with him/her, go outside, give the baby a bath...anything to wake baby up and keep him/her up. The point is to get baby good and tired before bed time. It may help him/her sleep in their own crib if he/she is tired and ready for sleep. Good luck!
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 9:13 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• It may help to ease her into this by laying her down when she is still awake but drowsy and sitting by the crib patting her until she falls asleep. If you do this for a few days then try just laying her down and just sitting close. then after that you will be able to lay her down and she will be good to go to sleep. May take a while. I was told that another way is to just let them cry, If you know that they are fine, diapered fed and burped. but i never had the heart to do that.
    jmann83

Answer by jmann83 at 9:30 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Oh ya, I forgot to mention that I hold/feed him till he gets drowsy then put him in crib and sing a song until he is really close to sleeping. Then I tell him, that I will leave the room now and do that:)
    januarymom81

Answer by januarymom81 at 9:39 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• my daughter always slept really good so we never had this problem. For you, I'd suggest swaddling her in a blanket before putting her down, and make sure she's tired when you put her in the crib. If she starts to fall asleep on you, then swaddle her up and transfer her to the crib when she's almost asleep. A white noise machine or some music may help to lull her back to sleep, we have a heartbeat bear for my daughter and it really helped on those few fussy nights. Sorry I'm not more help
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:12 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I had the crib in my room and I would suggest pulling it close to the bed if its a night so you can see him. I would rock my girlies and then lay them down and rub their backs. This was when you were supposed to put them on their tummies, I don't know I think its back now. But either way, rub their tummy then. But nothing is ever a sure fire fix. And I hate that babies don't come with an instruction book lol
    TiffBryan

Answer by TiffBryan at 10:29 AM on Jun. 16, 2009