How much allowance is good for a 14 year old boy and 8 year old girl.

I need help with figuring out how much allowance I should give my kids. And also how many and what type of chore is appropriate for each child. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• between 5 and 10 dollars a week...
    melissacoulter

Answer by melissacoulter at 9:06 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• We did not give allowances. We wanted to teach our children the concept of family, of cooperation, and of helping out one another. Whenever they needed money, we gave them what they needed. They all turned out to be excellent money managers with a wonderful work ethic. There were times when we had some particularly burdensome task to do that, upon its completion, they were given a sum of money, but it was more of a bonus than it was pay for doing the work. Every family is different, and you will have to decide what is right for your family. We wanted to teach ours to work and help out, even if there was no money involved.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:08 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• i'd say 10 and 5 a week. Depending on the chore you could do $1-$2 or more per chore depending on how hard of a chore it is. And say they don't do something or get into trouble do something like a cuss jar(where they have to put a dollar in for ever cuss word) but instead make it a doller or less for every chore they didn't do that they were supposed to or if they got into trouble. One for each of them. Then if they can be good and do all there chores for a month straight without missing a day, the get the money from the jar.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 9:08 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• sorry didnt see the second question,clean their room of course...vaccuming, the 14 y/o can wash his own clothes by now, my niece does...they can help set the table straighten up make beds, they can even help with dishes, .make a deal with them, besides allowance take them some where special or give them some kind of reward for doin all their chores each week, or monthl, .like going to the movies n stuff like that. i would say, for how many/or how much chores...-pick up room and make bed each day, set table at night, take turns helping with dishes or make it a team effort, there are three chores a day, simple, and as they get older, cut grass which ur 14 y/o can prolly do now. my niece and all my nephewes have very strict parents...these kids have been doing chores since the ages of 3...now they are 5-16...and they all make good grades, and are responsible little people... i even have my 2 y/o clean up her toys before bed
    melissacoulter

Answer by melissacoulter at 9:15 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• oh forgot to answer type of chores. I'd say the 14 yr old could wash dishes, trash, clean up after pets (if you have pets) room clean, his bathroom clean. 8 yr old could keep room clean, put dishes aways, or clear dishes after dinner, set the table.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 9:17 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I have a 14 year old stepdaughter and a 13 year old stepson, me and my husband decided to give the older one $20 a week and the boy $15. They both have a cell phone, so they have to save from there allowance to pay there cell phone bill. That is one responsibility there already so they dont go over there minutes. My step daughter has to clean her room every week and the boy have to take the garbage twice a week and clean the yard if they need extra they have to give us a reason and if we think they deserve it then they get extra. Also if they bring home a good grade they get something extra. They both take turns doing there laundry and washing the dishes after dinner, and they help around the house if needed. My 5 and 2 year old kids clean up there toys after playing, i also learned my two years old son to take his diaper in the garbage after i finish changing him. My 5 years old daughter makes her bed up every morning.
    sasha11

Answer by sasha11 at 9:42 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My 9 yr old gets $10/week...he helps with the lawn and garbage, shovels in the winter, cleans his room, makes his bed and feeds the cat. He loves to fold towels too.
    mbc324

Answer by mbc324 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 16, 2009