Would the ASPCA or local pound (or whoever) come pick up a dog that is owned but not taken care of?

A women in our apartment has a dog for her autistic son , and doesn't take care of the dog at night. The dog goes to the bathroom in the hallway. My other neighbor and I take turns cleaning the rug. I don't think it should be up to us. But when we told our apartment manager about it,he said he couldn't tell her about it because of the disablilty,she could turn him in for discrimination (somehow). So me and this other neighbor are very sick of cleaning up after our families as well as this dog.

If i were to call the pound would they pick it up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't think I would call the pound, esp if you haven't talked to the owner. Taking care of a child with autism is a struggle and its hard and time-consuming. If the dog only has those accidents at night, I would just go talk to the owner. If you have already and truly feel like the dog is being neglected, I do think ASPCA would check into the situation.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 9:09 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• tangleballlover--Well I think its neglect when as soon as 7:30pm rolls around the dog is left in the hallway. Soon as someone opens up the main door to come to the apartments the dog about attacks them! Disablity or none , theres no excuse to have your neighbors who don't own the dog , take care of it for you. I have talked to the owner a week after it all started, she said its her sons dog , and when he goes to sleep shes not responsible for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• yes they would. If there is evidence that the dog is being neglected then they will get a court order to remove the dog from the owner's care. The owner will either sign the dog over to the state or face animal cruelty charges. I would call the police before you call the dog warden tho just to make sure everything is in order.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 9:59 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Now, if you have talked to her and she still neglects the dog, yes. ABSOLUTELY. I would call someone to come investigate the situation if not take the dog away. Thanks for more details, it's hard to give the right advice when you can only write so many characters to try and explain what's going on. LOL. But most definitely I would. I just hope she isn't mistreated her son as well. That's insanity for her to expect a disabled boy to full-fledged take care of an animal.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 10:24 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• ASPCA or animal control will come and get the dog and the owner will be fined, if not arrested for animal neglect. It doesn't matter if the dog is for her Autistic child or not, she still needs to take care of the animal and if people are being attacked coming into the building, the dog is a threat to others and the complex owner can be sued along with the dog owner if someone gets bit.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:33 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• you can always take the thing to the pound during the middle of the night and dump it in one of the cages there. :) No animal control and your problems are over lol. ( Im not really saying you should do this but it is a option)
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 10:54 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• tyfry7496--yesterday we were leaving and i DID NOT SEE HIM , and he came out from nowhere when i sat my babies car seat down and was growling at it , i hit it w/ my purse! im not staying in my apartment 24-7 bc of this damn dog!

Mrs_Harsh--honestly tried that, the dog will not come w/ no one
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• if the dog is a threat to people thepound will come and get it...but if u r just calling them for neglet(sp) it doesnt sound like to me he is suffering ect no water or food they wont come and get him as far as going to the bathroom in the hallway...i dont thin the pound can do anything about that only the manger can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

---
    the manager wont say anything to her b/c of her son,he feels hell get a lawsuit,he wont pay us for the $ we're spending to clean up things we dont need to. the dog doesnt get fed or get a drink after 7-7:30 ...
    Anonymous

• Call your local city hall; I am sure that they have an animal control department.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:06 PM on Jun. 16, 2009