I can't get my 3yr old out of my bed. I had no problems with my other two children but with this last oneit's hard. She says it is her bed and she needs me. She may start out in her bed but only for a few minutes. HELP!! I've tried all I can think of.

TMJlove

Asked by TMJlove at 9:23 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We started making our dd stay in her bed all night at age 3 by using bribes. Every morning that she slept all night I made a HUGE deal out of it and let her pic out a few reward stickers and at the end of the first week she got a bigger reward, a barbie she had been wanting. then after two weeks she got something smaller, then 4 weeks and so forth. we did that for several weeks. we never bought anything big, just $1-5 stuff. it really motivated her. we kept a calender on the fridge and marked off the days every morning so she could see her progress. it worked immediately, the first day we started it.

Chick

Answer by Chick at 9:55 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• There is a no cry sleep solution book for toddlers and preschoolers. I haven't read it, but I assume it will address this issue. Also, Dr Jay Gordon has an article on changing sleep habits in the family bed.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:46 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Try to see this from her perspective. Her bed is dark and lonely (I hate sleeping alone). Let her pick our a new "friend" who will sleep in her bed with her and keep her from getting lonely.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2009