Is there anyone out there who has adult children who were in trouble with the law when they were younger and is now coming back to haunt them?

I have an older son who got in trouble with weed when he was 18 and he is now 22 and can't move on with his life. The conviction is preventing him from even getting his college degree. What's happening to him is an injustice and as a parent it is killing me emotionally. Need to talk to someone to share their experiences.

karada

Asked by karada at 9:32 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• Didn't have a son but I did have a naphew that got into trouble like that as a teen .And he has had a hard time. He stayed out of trouble until he met someone married her and had 2 kids. The girl and her family knew about his Law problems and held it over his head. Anytime he didn't do what they wanted him to they would say they would call the LAW. or take the kids from him... One day when he decided to leave the girl she put up a fight and it came to blows and they called the cops. He got 5 yrs. We then found out that the kids were being abused by her and had to fight her in courts to adopt the kids. We have had the kids for 4 yrs and he gets out this coming monday. It's been 2 yrs since I have seen my naphew and I can't wait to reunite him with his 2 beautiful babies.... If I can be any help let me know...
    mxmtaylor

Answer by mxmtaylor at 9:41 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• FIND OUT THE LAWS IN YOUR STATE. IN FLA, YOU GET TO EXPUNGE ONE POLICE RECORD OR CONVICTION IN A LIFETIME. YOU WILL NEED A LAWYER TO DO THIS, BUT IT MIGHT BE A SOLUTION TO A CLEAN START.

Answer by older at 10:49 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• You can expunge a record, but if there is any money involved, this will have to be paid up. You do need a lawyer and a merciful judge.
    lordsong1002

Answer by lordsong1002 at 8:19 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I know what you mean, its not like they are crack addicts... its very annoying. I think you have to wait 7 years to get it expunged but not sure. Cut the kids a break, it sure has changed since we were kids.
    njt320

Answer by njt320 at 8:35 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• AS FAR AS COMING BACK TO HAUNT THEM I DO NOT KNOW. CHANGED SINCE THEY GOT OLDER
    brighteyes50

Answer by brighteyes50 at 1:21 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Don't accept the status-quo, fight it.
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 4:26 AM on Jun. 21, 2009

• Look into getting the record expunged, but there is a time period you have to wait I am just not sure what it is. Also, remind him to keep trying and never to give up! Sometimes someone will give him a break and he just has to be ready to take advantage of that!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:39 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• YES I HAVE A SON THAT IS IN TROUBLE WITH THE LAW
    molly900

Answer by molly900 at 7:02 PM on Aug. 20, 2009