Question about my 9 month old??

I try to give him as much solids as possible but he will only eat about six bites and then he wants nothing to do with it. The doctor said I can start giving him whatever I'm eating. So I've given him mashed potatoes, grilled cheese, and french toast. He still wants to eat bottles all the time. I give him solid food at least 3-4 times a day and he still won't eat more than like six bites. So i don't know what to do?? He still is up during the night eating every three hours, I'm not sure what do from here. Even before bed I give him oatmeal and bananas, hes still up. Anyone ever have this?? What should I try next??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Be patient. make sure you are giving the food before offering the bottle. Also he should be old enough to start on a sippy cup. So if you start giving him one he will drink less that way and might eat more food. But right now he is getting enough vitamans through the formula. He will eat when he is ready all kids are different.
    jmann83

Answer by jmann83 at 9:54 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Well, at 9mos. it can still be pretty normal for them to have bottles every 3-4hrs. during the day, with about 3 solid meals and one "snack". Breastmilk and/or formula have more calories ounce per ounce than most solid foods, so often trying to 'fill them up' on solids to help them sleep through the night doesn't work. Usually, by this age sleeping through the night and eating have nothing to do w/ each other. I would work on the eating and sleeping issues separately. Try and wean the night bottles, and then see if he will eat more during the day. You can just pat, shush, rock, offer a paci, etc. However, don't push your baby to eat more than he wants to - that can set him up for overeating and obesity later in life. If he only wants six bites, that's okay. Just offer full bottle about every 3-4hrs. during the day and one before bed, with 3 healthy meals and an afternoon snack and let him decide how much to eat.

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 16, 2009