1yr and 5yr old b-day parties within one week! Should I have one party or two seperate?

I have a baby girl turning one on Sept 23rd and a boy turning 5 on Sept 16th. Should I have a double theme party or just one big one for each. Any suggestions on how to do this? What would you rather do as a guest?

aharb73

Asked by aharb73 at 9:44 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would seperate them by two weeks, one is a little too soon. or have them together
    Chick

Answer by Chick at 9:46 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Growing up, me and my brother would have a joint birthday party for our birthdays (his April 12th, mine April15th) -- I am 5 years older than him.
    We always loved sharing our party - we did 2 cakes, his friends would get me presents too, and my friends would get him presents and we'd all play younger and older party games,it was a lot of fun - we'd have it on a neutral day so we could celebrate our birthdays seperately at home with just our family.

It went great for us, so I'd definitely recommend having a joint party for your kids.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:51 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Save yourself the sanity and have one party - your one year old won't CARE and first birthday parties are mainly for the adults to celebrate...so celebrate the birthdays at once with the theme focused on your son's birthday (because he will CARE). When she's older, she will probably want her own celebration, but for now, take advantage of her age and have a single celebration for both of them together.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:51 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• We have 4 birthdays within 1 week in June on my husband's side of the family. Then there are two more within that week on my side of the family. Most years in the past, we have done separate birthday parties (granted, there is only one child in this mix). This year, all the ones on my husband's side got lumped into one big celebration, and every one hated it. You can probably get away with one party, just be prepared for your son to get upset that he isn't in the limelight and that he has to share that day with his sister. I would do something small for the girl on the 12th (Saturday before) and something a little bigger for the boy on the 26th (Saturday after) if I decided to do 2 parties. You can do something small for your daughter until about 4or 5. And by about 9, your son won't really want to do a big party, but would probably rather do something more intimate with a friend or two. You could make that work for a while.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:52 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Do one party before the first birthday and the other like a week after the second birthday.. I would say to do them together but I think first birthday's are way too special to combine.. maybe do them together next year when they're both a little bigger and can do some activities together (like my sister's kids she started having their birthday parties together when the little one turned 2 cuz they could both do a pinata and cake fight)
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:04 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• while it would be more convenient as a guest to come only once, your kids are not twins. they should have their own parties. invite mostly family for the one year old party and let your 5 yr old invite friends. for the bday on the 16th have the party the weekend before or the day of, and the 23rd bday the weekend after or day of. try not to squeeze them closer together than the actual birth DAY. when people ask why you are having two parties so close together tell them the first sentence i typed, they are not twins.
    m4m4

Answer by m4m4 at 10:14 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My boys birthdays are 1 week apart- this is what we do. We have a 'together' party for them and invite the family and friends. Then on their actual birthdays we do fun things. Last year we went to the Dells for 1 boy birthday, the other we went to Chuck-E-Cheese. The kids love it cause then they feel they get 2 birthdays instead of just 1.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:10 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• We have the same issue. Our oldest (9) and our middle child (3) have birthdays two weeks apart. What we do is have one big combined "family" party for them. That way grandparents, aunts, etc. aren't driving down twice.

However, now that our son is in school and has friends, we do a separate "friends" party for him the weekend of his birthday. When our daughter is old enough to be in school, then she will also have a friends party.

There is nothing wrong with a combined party. It saves energy and time for you and the kids get to celebrate together!! We do separate cakes, or we'll do cake and cupcakes, etc.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 10:48 AM on Jun. 17, 2009