My 2/1/2 yr old wants to know the name of her private part. i don't want to tell her the actual name because she is very verbal and afraid she will bring up the word alot.. So what nick names are out there? thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Its a vagina. What did you tell her to call her knee, foot and arm? Its not a bad word.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:50 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• vajayjay...vachinko...labia...
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 9:51 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I dont see why it would be a problem if she uses the word vagina a lot..its what its called. Its not a bad word its a body part just like the rest of them.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:55 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't make a funny word up - she's just as likely to repeat that.

And while 'vagina' isn't actually the correct term for the part she can see - it's generally used to discribe the whole area.
    Learning private body parts is just as important as learning legs/elbows etc - so teach her properly.
    When she is a bit older, you can tell her there are more parts - labia, vulva etc.

It's only a mothers own insecurities about her "private parts" that stops her from teaching the proper terms - so try not to pass them on and tell her the real words.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:56 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I'd much rather hear a 2year old belt out I have a VAGINA than some made up cutesy word.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:04 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I would recommend you do not make up a name for her private parts. Vagina is not a bad word. My pediatrician told me that all kids should know the proper name for the private parts because if they were ever in a situation where they were molested they have to tell the cops or whoever interviews them the correct name for the private part (Vagina, Penis) in order to press charges. I do not know if that is true in all states but it is here. You can teach her what the name is and just explain to her the proper time to use the word.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 10:06 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My dd was very into her vagina when she discovered it. It's part of life I suppose. She was about 2 when she talked about it all the time. It's really not that embarassing. I did however talk to her about being appropriate about private areas and privacy. She totally get's it. Of course like a typical kid she tried to push those boundaries. She's 3 now and we've not had a public vagina/penis (she has an older brother) talk/incident in a long time.
    I decided to teach my kids the proper names for heir parts when I heard a 3 yo call her vagina a coochie.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• i felt the same way when my dd started asking about her privates...i told her it was her bug..i dont care what other mom say i knew a 3 who would yell out mommy my vagina has to pee everytime she went into a store...people made nasty comments and weird looks...someday when my dd is old enough to understand her body parts and what they r actually for i will tell her the proper name
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I don't have any nicknames for you, but I don't call my son's part a penis. It's his pee-bird usually. Sometimes I say pecker, but I like pee-bird. I wouldn't want my son to say penis alot. I like pee-bird much more....
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 11:17 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My dd is 2 and she calls it vajaja because it is easier to say for her than vagina. I don't see a problem to teach her the right word for her private parts, it is a vagina so why would we call it different?
    stpalmsgirl

Answer by stpalmsgirl at 11:33 AM on Jun. 16, 2009