How can I get my 22 month son to eat?????

My 22 month old refuses to eat. Meal time has become so frustrating. I have tried everything...he mostly will only still eat baby food....no matter when or how I try to feed him he resist. I have tried chicken nuggetts, hot dogs etc and he will take one look at it on his tray and cry and throw it back at me. Any advice? Anyone going through this?

alexnshawnsmom

Asked by alexnshawnsmom at 9:54 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• THIS IS VERY TYPICAL, BUT I WILL TELL YOU WHAT I DID TO MAKE MINE EAT, I WOULD TELL THEM A STORY PICK A SUBJECT THEY ARE FOND OF, MY KIDS WERE SO MESMERIZED AT MY STORIES THAT THEY OPENED THEIR MOUTH FOR THE SPOON WITHOUT EVEN REALIZING THEY WERE DOING IT. I WOULD STOP THE STORY THE MINUTE THEY WERE DONE AND THEY ALWAYS WANTED AN ENDING TO IT. IT TAKES PATIENCE AND A LOT OF IMAGINATION BUT IT WORKED FOR ME.

Answer by older at 10:24 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Its kinda like taking them off the bottle.Just take away the baby food and give him the other.This sounds harsh but its works.He will eat it when he gets hungry enough.He wont let himself starve so give it a little time but he will eventually start eating regular food.
    krazymomma427

Answer by krazymomma427 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Don't make him sit in the chair when he doesn't want to. I found this to be helpful because I think it gives the little person some control. Which may be what he is looking for. Also, it's probably a texture thing if he is only eating baby food. As a mom who was a nervous wreck at the end of the day if my son didn't eat a perfectly balanced diet that day, believe me that he will be fine if it takes a day or so of not eating much. He will get hungry and be more willing to try new things.
    My doctor told me that at the end of the day, if you can put together everything your son ate for the day and it equals one decent meal, they are fine! As a worry wart, this took some mind changing.
    gizmo13

Answer by gizmo13 at 12:28 PM on Jun. 16, 2009