So we're getting a kitten and I've got a few questions if someone can help me out that'd be great.

We are looking to adopt a kitten. We've looked at full grown cats and if we didn't have a dog and the kids were older then we'd rescue an older cat. However they recommend them going to a quiet home with no other animals or kids. So now we are looking to adopt a rescue kitten. I filled out an application yesturday. The lady there said they recommend kittens going in pairs if there are no other cats in the house. Has anyone heard of this before? What should I expect? My kids are, 1, 3 and 5. The older 2 have wanted one for over a year now and are very good with friends cats. The baby will learn I'm sure.
What have your experiences been bringing a kitten into your home? My dog is a friendly skiddish medium size dog.
Any help/advise or insight would be greatly appreciated. Me and dh haven't had a kitten in many years or cat for that matter.

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 10:03 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Pets

• Getting kittens in pairs might be a good idea, if they are from the same litter or if they already know each other. If they don't, the other kitten is just another creature to get to know in a houseful of strangers. However the two will have each other to communicate with, and they will most likely bond tightly. They will have each other to play with and make you laugh. I have had two brothers from the same litter, andI have had solitary cats. either way works and each way has advantages and drawbacks. Your dog will soon learn his boundaries with the kittens, they come equipped with weapons... It's easier to get kittens with a dog already in residence, that to put a puppy with cats already established. You may have trouble with thedog getting "kitty snacks" out of the litterbox though. It might be a good idea to put it up or have a covered litterbox where thay have easy access, but the dog can't get at it.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:21 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Make sure to get the more expensive cat box with a cover on top. Also the more expensive cat liter that soaks up the pee and clumps it, it WORTH every penny. ;)

Keep her in a smaller area to start with, like a laundry room or bathroom. Just until she gets bigger and wont get stepped on ;)

Other than that cats a re pretty self sufficient. Good luck!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:15 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• if u get two kittens make sure they r the same sex sowhen they get older u wont have to worry about pregnancy, i would put the littler box where the dog cant get to its b/c she'll eat the poop and it'll up set her tummy. i have let my kittens have the run of the house when they were little the learn to stay out of ur way and not get stepped on. u might want to invest in some canned food for a while...kittens should get 2-3 meals a day with wet food and all the hard food they can eat...whenit come to hard food there r kitten formulas that r exspensive...but if u can afford its the best to get if u cant afoord it its alright they will do just fine on regular cat food.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:12 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Purina Kitten Chow isn't that expensive and it's good stuff. Makes nice, big shiny healthy cats, especially if you keep them on it the whole first year.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 5:59 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• when i was at the end of my pregnancy my husband brought home a kitten and i was so excited.now he is a demon cat.lol.he is wild and gets into everything.we had a few problems in the beginning with him wanting to mess with the baby and scratch him after he was born but once he got in big trouble he quit.he is mean to pretty much everyone except my husband and son.if i was you i would make sure to get the kittens declawed and fixed before you let them around your kids.and be prepared for a wild one.its just like having another kid.lol.
    GabesMommy08

Answer by GabesMommy08 at 8:56 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• declawing is cruel...all u have to do is teach ur cat to be nice...if he scratshes furniture buy him a scratching post...declawing involes ripping the nail out of the bone...its extreamly painful and crule..it should be consider animale abuse
    Anonymous

• Getting kittens in pairs is a HORRIBLE idea. When my brother and I were younger we got two kittens together, and it was the worst thing we ever did. They become VERY mischevious and will tear your house apart and drive you crazy. It soon becomes a battle between them trying to figure out who is the one in charge ... bad idea. I have four cats and 1 dog. i got the four cats all at seperate times.
    I never declawed my cats because I was afraid of the getting out of the house and not being able to defend themselves because they didn't have claws. You can teach them very early on about not clawing your furniture or clawing you or you kids.
    AGAIN .. very bad idea to get them in pairs ... but if you do .. Good Luck and let me know how it goes.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:44 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• I dont think you need a cat at all at this time. Small kids are not always best with cats and you cannot depend on what you said "the baby will learn I am sure'. Not saying anything bad about your kids, but all kids frighten cats as cats are jumpy and high strung anyways.We all love to think of little girls snuggling little kitten and all that jazz but the reality is alot of scratches bites and cats in shelters for being cats. and unlike dogs, sometimes they dont adjust to it, ever even as babies. Plus you have a skittish dog? no a cat is a bad idea right now...wait until your children are older and your dog has mellowed. then everyone will enjoy it much more.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:46 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• My dog is more mellow now then when she was a pup. We house sat a cat for a short while and she was fine with it. Actually wanted to play with it but it was an older cat and not into playing.
    My kids have been around my fil's cat and are rather gentle with him. My friend has 3 cats and my kids play with them when they come out of hiding. They know to pet the cat nicely and how to pick them up properly. My 14 month old was pulling hair and hitting and after a month of telling her no hitting/pulling she stopped. She will now "pet" our heads and faces and says, "nie" nice. I have no doubt that she will learn how to be with a cat. She is nice and gentle with the dog too.
    My kids have been asking for a cat since we cat sat last year. I've waited to see if they would loose interest in wanting a cat and they have not. They have consistantly asked and waited.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 17, 2009