Braxton Hicks and Burning Pain?

So every other night I have been getting braxton hicks contractions. I am 37.4 weeks along. They last for about an hour or so and usually start once I am down for the night. Last night I had the worst pain wake me up at 4:30am. It was this unbearable burning sensation accross the top of my belly. On the inside and the baby was no where near the area. I was just about in tears it hurt so bad. It lasted for about 20 minutes and all I could do was just rub it and hope that it went away. This is my second pregnancy. I have a 9 1/2 year old son and have never experienced it. Any ideas on what it could have been. I do have a obgyn appointment tomorrow morning but I was just wondering what this could be. Thank you!

Causality

Asked by Causality at 10:19 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• u need to call ur ob- those things should never wait- I havent experienced what u did, n ur not getting responses because other people hasnt either, u can call ur ob ANYTIME day or night, use it!
    its important u get those things checked out!
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 11:04 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Will do thank you so much.
    Causality

Answer by Causality at 11:23 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I'm not sure if it's the same thing, so don't go by my answer LOL but I just wanted to share... when I lay down every night, mostly on my left side of course, and even when I'm sitting for a while, like at the computer, I get a burning pain across the top of my belly too. Not near the baby like you said, but like across the top of my uterus it seems like, where my belly starts to round out. It burns and is so painful and tender to the touch, but yet at the same time, when I touch the area, it's numb! I spoke with my OB about it and she said that there is a nerve that goes across that area that gets stretched out and strained, especially when you lay certain ways, and that's what causes the burning pain/numb sensation. She said it was very common and normal and doesn't affect the baby at all. I'm not sure if this is what you experienced though, for me I've been experiencing it for a few weeks now, and it happens...
    bellamama09

Answer by bellamama09 at 12:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• ...just about every day. So definitely talk to your OB about it. And good luck with everything! I'm 37.4 weeks along too! Getting so anxious to have the baby... I'm so uncomfortable!
    bellamama09

Answer by bellamama09 at 12:19 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Thank you for your reply. I was looking up some information online about it and that is what I have come accross. That it is a nerve that runs along there and that is what could be causing the burning pain.
    Causality

Answer by Causality at 12:21 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Me too! Thats cool. I can't wait either, my poor feet look like they are going to explode. And no matter what i do the swelling doesn't go down. I always have sciatic nerve pain and knee pain. And I always have a foot in my back :(
    Causality

Answer by Causality at 12:45 PM on Jun. 16, 2009