• In the Spotlight:

Should I join the Air Force?

Read my blog for more info....

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read.php?post_id=1483700&posted=1#

(it is kind of long)

sour_blueberry

Asked by sour_blueberry at 10:22 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• well i wasnt able to read ur blog but i say no, the military coaxs people into joining with their wonderful benefits, but its not all its cracked up to be and who wants to die in a war
    Anonymous

• I will give you my honest opinion along with the facts as far as I know. First off, the Air Force is a great career. My hubby's been in for 12 years now. But don't be fooled there is ALWAYS the chance of deployment. More people are being sent to Afghanistan now, and if things heat up with North Korea I could see more people being sent there. But if you truly can come in as an officer, the pay is pretty good. My hubby is an E6 so nowhere near officer lol, but even for us with a family of 5 the pay and benefits are decent enough. The travel is nice, but now they are leaning more toward keeping people at one base for longer periods of time. We have moved 4 times in 12 years, but we are having trouble leaving here now. We will have been in Washington for 4 years in October, and it's hard to go from one stateside base to another stateside base. Unless you go stateside to overseas and back, they don't really like to move you. CONT
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:24 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• So I wouldn't worry too much about moving too often. The medical care is pretty good. A lot of people have complaints about Tricare but we have never had any major issues with them. We've had great doctors on base, the dental insurance is GREAT, the base housing is decent, especially if you can get officer housing, but then again the BAH to live off base is now decent too. The Air Force is also the best in terms of deployments because right now Air Force deployments are for the most part no longer than 8 months. Normally 6-8 months. Much shorter than Army, and Marines I know for sure. We have loved being an Air Force family. It really is a decision you have to weigh the pros and cons of though. Pros are financial stability, sense of community, good medical and dental, travel, pride and patritotism. Cons are that you may have to move somewhere you dont want to be or you may be deployed and away from family for a while.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:29 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• If you can go officer, I'd say it sounds like a good idea. The reg service though... wow, the pay is bad and the benefits are crap (this from Canada where pay is excellent and benefits are almost excellent). When there is a WIC office on the base, you know there is something wrong with the pay... the housing is free and ncos still can't afford to feel their babies!

It sounds like you've thought about it pretty clearly, and you're drawn to it. I don't know that there is a better way to make a decision than to see how you really feel about it. Even using your inner wisdom and intuition, you will make a lot of mistakes in life. Imagine you've already decided, and see how it makes you feel...

As for 'who wants to die in a war' --that logic doesn't keep people out of cars, although accidents kill thousands of people every year (more a year in the US than the whole Vietnam conflict).
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:31 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• The Air Force has it's good points and bad. I was in it for 4yrs, of course at that time the only person i had to worry abou twas myself. The question you will need to ask yourself is if you were to be deployed, could you be away from your family???
    nicholassmom504

Answer by nicholassmom504 at 3:17 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• You all had some really good points. Thank you April for being so precise. I still haven't come to a complete decision yet. I am going to go see a recruiter within the next two weeks with my friend who was in the AF. Right now I'm leaning more towards joining. The moving around doesn’t have me worried, I come from a military family so I’m used to it. Some medical is better than no medical right now. We are about to foreclose on our house, so the housing would help a lot. Granted I would miss my family if I am away from them, but it wouldn’t be for long. Plus I have a great husband who has proven to be a great Mr. Mom, I think he is more of a mom than I am (I seem to be Mrs. Dad, lol). I have one year left before I finish my Bachelors degree, so well see what happens from now till then.
    sour_blueberry

Answer by sour_blueberry at 7:57 AM on Jun. 17, 2009

• Anyone else got some good points?
    sour_blueberry

Answer by sour_blueberry at 12:36 PM on Jun. 17, 2009