H.R. 45, Obama's National Gun Registry and Citizen Disarmament Act

The most brutal dictators of the last century were famous for their gun registration and confiscation schemes
In addition to the outrageous national gun registration requirement, the bill also requires you to:

Pass a written examination to purchase a firearm.

Release your medical records -- including confidential mental health records -- to the government to get your "fitness" to own a firearm approved.

Observe a two-day waiting period before all firearms purchases.

Pay a gun tax of $25 or more on all firearm purchases.
and alsobans all private firearms sales and maximizes penalties for minor clerical errors in dealing with the national gun registry.
Does this seem right or a bit overboard?

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 10:24 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• We need to remember why the writers of the Constitution gave the citizens of this country the right to own and bear arms. The had left a monarchy and came to a country where that monarchy used them and treated them as low class and subservient instead of as citizens the same as those in England. They decided that an armed citizenry gave them the advantage to keep the government at bay. We could, if needed, form a militia and rise up against oppression and tyranny. Disarming the citizens takes that right that we have held dear and the comfort from it. We are not in service to the government. It is in service to us. It exist for us, by us, and from us. If we choose, we can rise up against it. It is our right as a citizen. It keeps the people we put in office from become too arrogant and thinking they are somehow better than the rest of us.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:37 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• That is great. You can blame the loonies for messing it up for you gun owners.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I can understand the mental records but why all of them?
    aimige

Answer by aimige at 10:29 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I can see the tax and waiting period, and maybe tracking Serial numbers on guns so we know who owns what, BUT a written exam and medical records...I don't get that. I have heard people say the gun registry is so they know how many guns you own so when they take away our right to have guns they will know exactly what they are picking up at your house and you can't hold anything back. This may just be paranoid people saying this, but Ive heard it from hunters who believe they should be able to have guns to protect their family.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:32 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I'll keep my guns kthnx
    MHaney1980

Answer by MHaney1980 at 10:33 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Its fine by me.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:34 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Sounds great to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Start the phone calls ladies.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:34 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• First, this isn't Obama's anything. It was introduced January 6, 2009, 14 days before Obama even took office. If this is any presidents anything, it's Bush's.

Second, this is in committee and nothing else has been done on it since February. It's June, it's probably not going to happen.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:35 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Oh and here's a link, but I can see that there are many people who could care less about facts.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-45
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2009