Starting cereal.... is there a certain schedule we should follow?

wwarner

Asked by wwarner at 10:27 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nope but you might want to watch out for constipation. Cereal can cause it. Just feed some in the morning, or once a day. I like to give mine in the mornings with a little bottle of water along with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• My doctor said that in the beginning to just do it once a day to get him used to it. It's not necessary to do it more than that at first. Also I think it's a good idea to try to do it at the same time everyday, but that's mostly just my opinion.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 11:14 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Cereal is very low-grade food for babies, and only started in the Victorian era because so many mothers were dying in childbirth -- and unmodified cow's milk killed babies nearly as fast as starvation.

Cereals are too high in fibre, haven't got enough water, minerals, sugars, vitamins or fats to be what growing babies need to thrive. Adding iron just causes problems, as iron is easily overdosed and the results can be fatal.

Human babies need no food other than breastmilk (or artificial substitutes) until 6 months at the earliest. They can have other foods before that, but they don't benefit from displacing the more healthy breastmilk with anything else.

One Japanese study showed that even exclusively breastfed 18mos have no deficiencies (where they got that group of kids, I will never know!), not even iron, or vitamin D or anything.

Oh, and no foods make babies sleep through the night -- that's proven science.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:15 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• I was actually told by my Dr. to introduce my daughter to solid foods today at her 4 months checkup. She told me to keep breastfeeding as normal but to give her a few tablespoons of rice cereal in the morning and before bed. After she gets used to the cereal in a few days I was told to switch to oatmeal and veggies like carrots :]

I wouldn't worry yourself too much if your baby doesn't like the cereal, at this stage its just an introduction, not a NEED thing.
    JanMichelle

Answer by JanMichelle at 9:36 PM on Jun. 16, 2009