My baby will only sleep on his stomach!

I know I am supposed to put him on his back to sleep and I do, but he keeps rolling over to fall asleep anyway. If I go in there and put him back on his back he screams then rolls back over and goes to sleep! I do have a fan in his room, and there is nothing else at all in his crib just a tight sheet. He will not sleep on his back or his side at all any more since he has learned how to turn over. What can I do?

ekerazy78

Asked by ekerazy78 at 10:31 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• just let him be. he will be okay! :) My son has slept on his belly since he was 1 1/2 months old. Thats the only way we could get him to sleep. Let him be comfortable. if he can roll that way and he can roll back if he needs too.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 10:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• just let him i tried with my son to get him to sleep on his stomach when he first learned how to flip over that is a battle i lost he started sleeping on his stomach at 5 months and nothing has gone wrong when he first did it i drove myself nuts and was in there checking on him every 30 minutes but he was fine he is getting bigger and is going to do what he wants so just let him he will be fine i promise
    haydns_mommy

Answer by haydns_mommy at 10:38 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• my younger two were tummy sleepers.
    #1 hated tummy, and still does lol

#2 had severe reflux, so tummy was the only option or she'd be up screaming all night.

#3 was just happier on her belly, knees pulled up bum in the air.

once they figure out how to roll on their own its pretty much useless to keep trying to fight them to sleep on the back.

just take everything out of the crib if you're worried about smothering.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:51 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Once he's learned to flip over by himself, it's no longer a SIDS risk. My son was the same when he learned to roll. He's 8 MO now and sleeps with his butt in the air lol. Stomach sleeping is also more comfortable for babies so if you just let him sleep how he's comfortable you won't have to keep getting up and down and he may sleep through the night if he doesn't already!
    proudsinglmomy

Answer by proudsinglmomy at 11:30 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• This is a huge stress relief. I was going into his room every 30 minutes to check on him and I would be so paranoid. Thanks for the input!
    ekerazy78

Answer by ekerazy78 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 17, 2009