How can I get My 2 1/2 to talk

I am a military wife with 2 boys. My oldest son seems to have gone backwards with his speech. My husband was deployed for 8 mts. he is home now but still my son is not processing. His motor skills and reasoning are above average. I know he understands me but still refuses to talk . Any suggestions I am at my wits end.

hannah024

Asked by hannah024 at 10:36 AM on Jun. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How long has he not been talking? Does he not talk at all or just less? How long is your husband home? Has he stopped taling before your dh came home or after? Maybe he is still in his "warm-up" phase with your dh?? I would defenitly make an appointment for him and have him screened for speech delays or Autism just to be on the safe side.
    stpalmsgirl

Answer by stpalmsgirl at 11:26 AM on Jun. 16, 2009

• You don't.

You are not in control of what your son does with his body, and there's nothing you can do about that. As a friend said to her husband: if you are using your size and strength to control your child, what are you going to do when he's 13 and both bigger & stronger than you?

He's clearly experienced a lot of stress with his changing household. It's not bad, it's just how it is. He'll grow out of it if he's respected, treated kindly and nurtured. He'll eventually grow out of it even if he's not -- but one of those minimizes his stress and helps him deal with it, and the alternative creates even more stress, making it longer.

If you understand what he wants, he's communicating clearly. Trying to make him speak when he has good reason not to (even if you don't know what it is) is, imo, cruel and unnecssary. And, as I said: won't work.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:07 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Linda Clement your response is highly offensive. You are making assumptions without knowing the facts!!!!!I would never try to control or use size and strength nor would my husband. I don't beleive in the word bad for a child..
    I do beleive that military life has an effect on the children as well as the family. he was doing alot better before his Dad was deployed. I am working with a speech and child development counselor as was his Dr.. All say that he will eventually get there. But as a parent I can't help be worried. Just thought I would put it out there to see if anyone else had the same experience.
    hannah024

Answer by hannah024 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 16, 2009

• Hi, I experienced the same thing with my son who is now 3. He started saying alot after he turned one but at about 17mos he started going backwardss with his speech. Fortunately I got a service name early intervention that provided me with speech therapist that worked with him. He is doing much better now. What I was told to do by the therapist is to speak to my son as if I would with anyone else, when he want something I would keep asking him until he repeats it, or just to make sure it gets to his head. ex: if I know he want juice I would keep saing "you want juice".
    Does your son have any issues with his hearing, my son had chronic ear infection which affected his hearing, so that was part of the reason why he had a speech delay.
    dordoo

Answer by dordoo at 2:48 PM on Jun. 16, 2009